2D exported as DXF?

I retired two and a half years ago and haven’t been using Rhino…till now. I’m getting projects from old clients and need to come up to speed with Rhino. Most things are coming back to me, but occasionally I need to export 2D files. they always have turned into jumbled lines when imported into my old (dependable Graphite program) my work-a-round was to bring it into Shark then export it again as a DXF file. Which worked great. I’ve long since dumped Shark.

Is there a better way to export clean dxf files from Rhino?

Export to what program? My opinion is you can successfully export dxfs from Rhino that are compatible with just about any program, but you need to know what the export settings actually do and what the end use will be.

This is a case where “good” and “bad” screenshots would be very helpful.

All I know is that whatever setting that a crummy program like Shark seems to work. I just thought that maybe in the time I’ve been away from Rhino that they may have improved their export. The 2d program I’ve always used is Graphite. and I like using it before going to Rhino.

Screenshots please.

There is a lot more going on here with respect translating Rhino NURBS objects to DXF which has no provision for NURBS objects at all.

Sorry John, Maybe it is me being stupid, but I don’t know you mean.

Take a screenshot in Rhino of what the curves are supposed to look like.
Then open the DXF in Graphite and take another screenshot showing the problem.

My guess is if you only used lines, arcs, and circles in Rhino, you would not have a problem. Degree 3 and higher curves need to be converted into chains of Arcs so limited file formats like DWG/DXF can produce a curve close enough that it works.

The Windows “Snipping tool” is very hand to taking screenshots.

You’re not stupid. Currently you’re ignorant about this specific detail. Using the Shark tool isolated you from understanding the issue. That’s fine, but now it’s time to sort it out. This should be easily corrected once we understand the issue.

Based on those images, what ever the problem is, doesn’t seem to be what I thought it might be.

Can you please send the 3dm file and the dxf in a reply?
Thanks

Also, do you have a Web link to the “Graphite” tool?
Thanks

DR7aExample.3dm (1.6 MB)

Not sure how to do that.

I still need the DXF file too.

I’ve never heard of this “Graphite” tool you mentioned.
Google didn’t find anything that looked promising either.

What is it and where can I find out more about it?
I’m hoping to dig up DXF import file specifications for it.

Screen Shot 2020-07-23 at 2.02.05 PM

DR7aDXF.dxf (422.0 KB)

I have heard of Ashlar Vellum, but never used it.

I opened your 3dm file in Rhino V5 Mac, and ran Make2d again.

Then I exported those resulting curves to DXF using the “R12 lines and arcs” export scheme.
See if it opens correctly in AV Graphite.
DR7aExample.dxf (307.0 KB)

Any better?

Wow John. That worked great.

Thank you,
Lonnie

Your DXF file looks fine in Rhino too.
My guess is the AV Graphite requires a much older version of the DXF file format.
Based on what was in your file, I used the oldest, simplest DXF format Rhino supports.

You could have quit using Shark years ago.