_Connect (by Arc) not works

Hi
_Connect not works by Arc.
ExtendArcsBy=Arc works same as a Line.
Why it is happened?
Bug?
R5 sr13

Seems to work here… Are you sure your curves are both arcs?

–Mitch

Hi Mitch

both arcs

Can you post the arcs? --Mitch

uploaded arcs.3dm

Where?

Sorry

it is here
arcs.3dm (361.4 KB)

No, they are not… they are degree 3 NURBS curves. They do not simplify to arcs either…

Ok I see.
I assumed that the _Connect by arc has to work same as a _Extend by Arc

_Extend
Type=_Arc

Any idea?

No, the options in Connect simply extend either line or arc objects “naturally” to meet if possible. Simply use Extend>Arc on both curves past the point where they cross, then use Trim or Connect to trim them to each other.

–Mitch

Is it possible to make the automatic trim at the intersection?

If the curves are on the same plane, you can use Fillet with the radius set to “0”. This is still an extra step but quicker than Trim.

(David Cockey) #13

Connect is an alternative command to trim overlapping curves to each other. Connect and click on the parts of the curves you want to keep.

Thanks Nick and Davidcockey
This was useful information.
I did not know that these tools are able to work with intersecting curves :slight_smile:

I have written a small macro to a bit automate the process with curves having a break.

It is a pity that the _Flet and _Connect can not simultaneously select two curves completely. Then It would be possible to make full automation

Extend _Enter
Type=_Arc
Pause
Pause
Pause
Enter
Enter
Sellast
Trim
Pause
Pause
Pause
Enter
SelNone

and

Extend _Enter
Type=_Arc
Pause
Pause
Pause
Enter
Enter
Connect

Both commands depend on screen picks to determine which ends are to be filleted/connected. So a full automation such as window pre-selecting 2 curves and then calling the command is ambiguous- it will not know which ends to connect. It is possible to always connect the end points that are closest, but there will certainly be situations where the result will not be the end you want.

–Mitch

it is interesting.
Identify short pieces based on the intersection. And in the macro to use the trim for short
It’s real?