Still a Memory Leak?

Didn’t see this on a Rhino for Mac forum, so here it is. I am still on the last build (5A723), but it feels like Rhino might still be leaking memory. See attached image. No other programs running and I run out of memory. I am not doing anything special in Rhino when this happens. It has happened several days in a row, usually in the afternoon hours after using the program for several hours.

Thanks for reporting this. We are currently working on fixing a number of bugs/regressions in 5A723, but we will investigate (MR-1579).

Similar problem on my MacBook Pro using build 5A723. Every time after an action, even after panning or zooming, I can see (through Memory Clean app) memory loss. Only after several minutes of use my 8 GB ram memory is depleted then OS virtual memory kicks in which slows down Rhino. This is a serious problem.

WIP version 5A723 has a new and different memory leak and will be fixed in the next WIP release. When a model is closed, the memory used by that model was not released.

I have the same problem! Memory full just opening the program. I’m working with 8gb memory in an Imac OSX 10.9.5
Any idea?

Same issue here.
Just 2D drawing…

In the screenshot you can see a moderate memory consumption, usually it goes un to 70GB!!
Saving doesn’t fix anything. The only way to release all this memory is to quit Rhino and launch it again. Then it start with 60-70 MB!

Is there any fix planed?

We have been unable to reproduce this on our computers, so any help/clues you can provide to help us reproduce this would be greatly appreciated.

I have opened up a new bug-track item for investigation purposes (MR-2410).

This was previously mentioned here and I still run into this issue almost every day using Rhino in just 2D.

As I mentioned before, my theory is each zoom level is stored in cache to prevent redraws and the more you move in and out of your drawing, the more renders as stored.

What is interesting is I never run into this issue when I am using Rhino for modelling, only whilst drafting.

To those of you who are experiencing Rhino’s memory footprint ballooning when working with 2D linework, does running the “ClearUndo” command return Rhino’s memory footprint to something “reasonable”?

When Rhino is using 600mbs of RAM, this cleared about 10mbs of RAM. I can try again when I see a dump over 2GBs, but I do not think this is causing the issue.

I posted this on another thread but received no reply – so I’ll report it here as well, since the issue seems to be exactly the same.

Basically I have the same problem. Rhino keeps hogging RAM until I finally get a notice saying that my Mac is out of application memory. This happens with all files, faster with larger ones (a 25 MB file with mostly lines and hatches will soon go up to 20 GB of memory used). Memory usage seems to keep increasing even if I’m not really doing much (just rotating and moving the view). So I’m able to model, but need to quit/force quit regularly. The memory usage doesn’t reduce when I close the file, only when I close the application itself. ClearUndo has hardly any effect.

I have a Mac mini, Intel Core i7 3 GHz, 16 GB of memory, El Capitan ve. 10.11.4. My version of Rhino is 5.1 (5B161). My HD has 200 GB free space left. Only other program running is Firefox.

Can you please see if you are still getting this memory leak in the latest RhinoWIP? We have been trying to chase down an elusive memory leak for quite some time and we hope we have made some progress, but all these changes are in the RhinoWIP. Additionally, if you are still seeing this behavior in the RhinoWIP, please help by giving us clues as to what modeling behaviors you are doing.

Thanks,
-Dan

I will try that. I just had Rhino 5.1 open with just an image and some 2d lines and memory consumption in Activity monitor was 4.8GB. I am just opening the same file in the latest WIP. I will let you know if this happens and the command works.

WIP is giving me this for now …

Thanks,
«Randy

Hi Dan,

I tried the clear undo command and it did not help. However, when I tried it, the memory usage bored to 18.69GB (up from about a gig) and crashed Rhino.

I have been keeping an eye on memory as I am doing things and it seems that it just keeps building. It makes relatively large leaps when I make a new detail view. Also, in the model I am currently using, when moving 337 curves it runs up the memory quite a lot ( from 1.2GB up to 6GB) to the point where is says it is not responding. Then usually it will recover and return back down to the most current operating level.

Thank you. Can you please verify that you are trying this in the latest RhinoWIP?

Not at the office now so I can’t check, but I know I updated this morning.

This is first thing this morning with Rhino on all night. A few simple solids made from the lines. ClearUndo doesn’t seem to do anything.

@rhinorudi-

Are you saying you just had that model open all night without doing anything?

-Dan

@dan yes, that was when I first came in. WIP has been fairly good today so far. I had at least 5 different files open at one tine and it was around the 7gb memory in Activity Monitor. Right now Rhino WIP is in dock but open, no files open. It has been steady at this amount for the last hour. I have been using Win Rhino for another job.

«Randy

I am on Build 5C230w.