Layer Control in Layouts & Thumbnail Update

Yes, I fully agree with that! Layer visibility should be completely separated between model and layout states.

Seems like they are considering the change, as you can see here
https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issueMobile/RH-38476

2 Likes

First off, I would also love to have the ability to work with global/model layers and layout layers independently. That would ease the process when having multiple plan-drawings with lots of info on top of each other, and wanting to sift through different layers in the layout.

Second, I have a problem concerning the “Layout and detail information”. My detail view in layouts is constantly showing all layers, even when disabling different layers in the “layout and detail information” tab. The only action that effects the look of the layout is when i toggle the layer where the detail view is located - then the detail view disappears. But I am unable to change the visibility of the different layers from the “Layout and detail information” tab. Any ideas?

I hope this makes sense.
Thanks!

Ben

Ah, I just realised that you need to have the detail view active for the “layout and detail information” layers to have any effect.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

I’m sorry with who don’t think so, but to me don’t have the possibility to hidden layers in model space independently from the layout space is merely an idiot thing. It means a lot more work. I think it is a background from the “Microsoft window style”: if you can do one thing with one click… do it with ten clicks. That’s my opinion. Roy

I really wish to have an option to be sure my layout are safe… No matter which layers I turned on or off in model space.
Though, I think to have a global way to turn on/off layers for all detail at once is handy.
Suggestion : Would it be useful to have the detail lock option handling the model space layer state ?
If enabled only the layout layer state would be considered.

1 Like

Is the Layer State Manager not doing that for you?

Hi @wim,
The problem is that it doesn’t matter if you’ve used the layer state manager to configure your details, because as soon as you turn off any layer in model space, it will act as a global switch and will switch off that layer in any detail even if that layer is on in the detail. The only way to ensure that you don’t modify your saved layers configuration is turning every layer on in model space before printing your layouts.
This workflow is a real pain and very dangerous if you happen to work within a team, and someone else need to open a drawing to make some modifications and save that file forgetting to turn on all model layers.

I hope it makes sense and thanks for asking,

José

Hi José, yes that makes perfectly sense.
Perhaps one of the bigger brains has a firm grip on how to solve this issue, but, to me, there’s nothing that will make this process fool-proof - except (and certainly when working in teams) for tight work-flow control and good procedures.

Requiring that everybody in the team saves a layer state when a detail is finished, and then requiring that everybody restores the layer state before printing could be a good procedure and might even be scriptable.

But, remember that ,even if detail layers had a life on their own (which, as you stated further above, is on the wish list), if a user adds a new layer with a new object, this will be visible in every detail on all layouts. And, yes, layer states will not help here either.

Hi,
I agree that layer state is really not a good solution. Too easy to mess up your work, even worse your team work (raised by José).
@wim I think the fact that a new object could come up in details is minor. I guess, a detail related option (like “locked” which concern only already existing details) could tell whether a new layer should be visible or not by default in layout space.

1 Like

All - Thanks for your input. I’ve bumped a YT issue that is more of an umbrella issue covering RH-38476. This wider one is only visible to developers though.

1 Like

I just switched from Rhino 6 (mac) to Rhino 7 (mac).
My new students are starting with Rhino 7 (mostly windows).
Screen Shot 2022-09-02 at 2.31.21 PM

They seem not to have the “PANELS: Layout and Detail Layer information” tab that I have, used to control which layers appear in each different detail on a Layout.

• Does this Panel (Layout and Detail Layer information) still exist?
  • If the panel is still in Rhino 7, how do the students navigate to it?
  • If it does not exist, has the control of the Detail layers changed (a different tool or a different procedure?)
    Thanks for your help.

Hi Kelly -

That panel still exists in Rhino 7 on macOS. That extra panel has never existed on Windows versions and won’t exist in Rhino 8 on macOS. The layout-specific layer information in those cases is found be right-scrolling in the layers panel.
You can also, when a layout is active, change the display of the columns in the layers panel by using these options (in this case Rhino 8 on macOS):

-wim

Helpful. So for a Windows user, they should view the layout layer settings to adjust the details?

That depends.
What specifically are they trying to change?

Hi Kelly -

I wouldn’t necessarily go as far as saying “should”. It can reduce some horizontal scrolling, but, apart from that, nothing is different.

The default setting is “View all layer settings”:

“View layout/detail layer settings” gives you this:

(these are from Rhino 8 with 2 extra columns)
-wim

I’ll try to clarify my question.
If I have a Layout with two details–one plan, and one elevation.
Using Rhino 7 for windows–How do I change each of the details to show a different set of model layers?
In Rhino for MAC, I would use the Panel: Layout and Detail Layer information.
As you said, this panel is not available in Windows.
If i want some layers on in one detail, and a different set of layers on in another detail, where are these settings made?
Since there is a method on the Mac side, there must be one on the Windows side.
Wim showed a “layers” window that has several columns that do not show up with MAC. I’m sending the two column sets that I have with “layers” and “Layout and Detail Layer information” below. I really need to be able to guide my Windows students on these Layout processes. Thank you.

Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 6.49.02 PM
Screen Shot 2022-09-05 at 6.44.34 PM

You tell your students to scroll to the right in the “Layers” panel to find the same columns as in the “Layout and detail layer information” panel on macOS.
-wim