How do i buy and or download Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN? And do i need it?

Edit2:
I want to start develop a 64bit plugin for rhino 5. but i can not find Visual studio 2010

The link from the wiki sends me to the VS c++ pro 2013, same with the faq link from the wiki.

Is it then possible to use
Visual Studio Professional 2013 with Update 2? since i already have this?

Eivind

EDIT:

Rhino 5 Plug-in Development
Developer: C++
Summary: Developing Plug-ins for Rhino 5.

Requirements

64-bit Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8.
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional with MSDN. (Why?)
Rhino 5 64-bit
Rhino 5 C++ SDK

How do i download the correct version if the 2013 version does not work?

AFAIK, you will need VS 2010 if you want to develop native C++ plugins for Rhino since the SDK binds to parts of the MFC that went obsolete after VS2010 and are no longer shipped with the current releases.

You can use VS2013 if you stick to RhinoCommon and C#.

Thanks for your reply, it did clarify some
I thought that you had to use C++ to write plugins with the SDK, i might also have completely misunderstood everything.

That depends. RhinoCommon is still in development and does not support all features of the C++ SDK. But that should only be a matter of time.

RhinoCommon ships with Rhino 5 and is considered stable. There are features in the C++ SDK that are not currently available in RhinoCommon, but there are also features in RhinoCommon which aren’t available in C++.

We are continuously adding functionality to all of our SDKs (C++, .NET, RhinoScript, Python, Grasshopper)

Plug-is for Rhino 5 can be written in either C++, or in one of the .NET languages (C# or Visual Basic).

For C++, you will need the following:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Professional (for Rhino 5 64-bit).
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Professional (for Rhino 5 32-bit).

Note, the free versions of Visual C++ will not work.

You will also need the Rhino 5 C++ SDK.

For .NET, you will need one of the Microsoft Visual C# 2010 (or newer) or Visual Basic 2010 (or newer). And yes, the free versions of these tool do work.

There is no .NET SDK to download, as everything you need comes with Rhino. But, there is a Visual Studio project wizard (very handy) and documentation that you can download from here:

Let me know if this helps.

1 Like

Yes this information helped a lot. i am also more familiar with .net and c# then i am with c++ so this is a no brainer for me. i honestly thought you was forced to write in c++.

Thanks for the clarification and support!