Graphics card went out....Need some suggestions in the $200 price range

But what should I do, if I’m a professional user working on complex models and need a faster display? I would pay for a special code to get high-end graphics performance, no problem to buy pro hardware. So, now it’s official, Rhino isn’t created as high-end pro tool?

The general usage of Rhino make it to a great tool. For example the 64bit version together with Vray allow me to render quite complex models (the 3dm files of my current train interior project are around 1GB), rendering works great. For me it’s important to work with NURBS models, so there is no alternative.

Only the display performance is a problem, it’s hard to see that modern mid range cards (like GTX6xx) are slower than old mid range cards (GTX285). From this view it’s not truth that Rhino works with non-high-end cards, since GTX6xx are mid range gamer cards only and the power of this cards isn’t used.

So, a simple conclusion could be, for standard user a simple card works quite well, but if more power is needed, than there is no way to get it. I’m curious how long we will stay on this road, when the graphic performance will enhanced, so that the card power is really used.

Micha

1 Like