Displaying Part Numbers / Name

Hi,

I need to do 2D drawings for a Rhino project. I can put a Object Name in each properties, but the leader command does not seem to allow the use of the user assigned Object Name field. Under the fx menu it can only use the hex object name. It also cannot use the block name.

I cannot understand why these was not allowed.

Dev’s could you please allow the leader to work with the Object name?
A part number field would have been handy as well. I guess, for now, I will have to put them both in the name field, such as: 00000 - Bolt

What I want to do is, just click on a object and drag out a arrow leader that displays my name for the object or the block name.

Does anyone have some tips on doing object names and part numbers in a callout type assembly drawing?

Thanks All,
BrendaEM

Edit: Added Clearification

Hi Brenda- see how this script works-

NameCallout.zip (722 Bytes)

To use the script, extract and save the .rvb file from the attached zip archive, then drag and drop the saved rvb over an open Rhino v5 window. This will load the script, set it up to load on startup in the future and register the alias

NameCallout

that will run the script much like a regular command. An alias can be typed or added to a toolbar button or keyboard shortcut (F-key). Note the script names unnamed block instances to the block definition name.

-Pascal

6 Likes

Aaah very handy. Thanks Pascal.

Steve

Hi,

Sorry, life got in the way.
I will try as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Brenda

Hi,

Thank you, that does the trick.
I assigned it for the Leader-Right-Click

Shouldn’t this be a standard feature?

(Sorry, I haven’t replied until now. I have an infected wisdom tooth that’s been taking all of my wisdom away.]

Thanks again,
Brenda

1 Like

I made an icon to share, modified from the leader icon.

I copied a leader icon, edited it, and added it to the drafting bar.

The command works pretty good so far, and it works for block names too.
Thank you.

P.S. This is one of those little inclusions that would make a great service release value-added bonus : )

1 Like

With Namecallout, I get this error on my laptop, but not my desktop.
Do you have any ideas.

(Yes, It’s windows 7)

Hi Brenda- try dragging and dropping the rvb file onto Rhino again - an unzipped copy of the file, not from the zip file directly.

-Pascal

I’ve been trying to get this to work with Rhino5 without success, the leader doesn’t appear where it should, perhaps the command syntax has changed. And perhaps this function is now built in and I just haven’t found it yet?

In any case, having struggled a bit I modified it to use AddLeader instead of Leader, and it seems to do the job for me now.
NameCallout.zip (733 Bytes)

I hope this makes it into V6.

(As well as Dragline.)

David, not sure what i’m doing wrong with this. I loaded your version and ran from Monkey and got this “type mismatch in parameter. String required” error.
Any suggestions appreciated.
-Robert

thanks for this one Pascal.

Robert, did you try Pascal’s original script? Perhaps give that a go first, the change I made was only to use AddLeader rather than Leader, passing the point array across directly rather than converting to a string. Nothing was changed in the top part of the script (line 7 where your error report comes from).
I don’t know about Monkey, I searched for it and it seems to be something for Rhino 4?
I just dragged the .rvb file into one of the Rhino 5 windows to install it (and repeated to overwrite each time I modified it, which was nice, no need to uninstall), once done entering NameCallout from the command line ran it.
David

Hi there,

Complete n00b to scripting. How could I edit this script to not place a leader but just place a text object via the Text command? I have a bunch of parts that I just need to place a label inside the perimeter without the leader extension line.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi People, drafting and tagging objects create a huge work load on me .
So is there any improvement on this script. How can we make this work in “Layout” ?

Best regards

Thank you Pascal

Drafting and tagging objects create a huge work load on me .
So is there any improvement on this script. How can we make this work in “Layout” ?

Best regards

Hi goturk - what improvements would you like? Can you be specific?

-Pascal

Sorry for bad grammar.

I know the “leader” command work in “layout” . So also by using “fx” button you can directly give the objects name to the leader. If we could just make your “namecallout” work in “layouts” window.

Maybe also if you can add an “autimatically name giver” optipn. So left button gives the names, right button gives the leaders object name written on it.

Wow , taht would be like a dream for me =P

Best regards

Hi Gokturk -

I fixed a problem with the script - stupid on my part - I’ll attach the fixed version here and then update my post above.
NameCallout.zip (722 Bytes)
Also, this fails in V6, I’ll take a look at that.

To make this ‘work’ in layouts:

1. Activate the detail, run the script inside the detail.
  2. When done, select the leaders and run this command: testChangeSpace

For the automatic naming, I am not sure what you mean but you may want to use this macro on the left button:

! _-Properties _Pause _Object _Name _Pause _EnterEnd

-Pascal

2 Likes

Thank you Pascal , I will check it immediatley when I return to office. Best regards