Dimension like a Bounding Box

Hi !
Is there a script or macros that can do automatic drawing dimensional sections of the selected objects? Height, Width and Thickness.
Something similar like a bounding box

1 Like

Yes, this can be done. Mine looks like this:

Hey, that’s what mine looks like!! (volume report on command line)

–Mitch

How would you do it?

Look great, dots are even better than dims. Can you share the scripts?

Sure… This also does 2D planar objects, you get a bounding rectangle. One caveat: the script currently looks for the presence of a display mode called “Ghosted” (it puts the box in ghosted mode), not sure what will happen if there isn’t one (such as with a non-English Rhino) - it might error out… Will test that and try to find a workaround if necessary…

BBWithSizeVol.rvb (3.6 KB)

–Mitch

2 Likes

Thanks!

One caveat: the script currently looks for the presence of a display mode called “Ghosted” (it puts the box in ghosted mode), not sure what will happen if there isn’t one (such as with a non-English Rhino) - it might error out…

The localized versions do understand “Ghosted” and other default display modes names (tested in Polish).

Ahh, cool, thanks for testing…

–Mitch

1 Like

Mitch, I do not get tired to admire your talent!
write a script requires great intelligence and advanced logic. I have difficulty getting even macros)
Thank you Mitch!

!_BoundingBox _Pause _Enter _SelLast _SetObjectDisplayMode _Pause _Ghosted _NextViewportToTop _SetObjectDisplayMode _Pause _Ghosted _NextViewportToTop _SetObjectDisplayMode _Pause _Ghosted _NextViewportToTop _SetObjectDisplayMode _Pause _Ghosted _NextViewportToTop _SelNone _Dim _Object _Dim _Object _Pause _Dim _Object _Pause _Dim _Object

HI!
Is it possible to make a slight improvement for this script?
I would like that information on height, width and thickness varied accordingly when scaling the entire group with the "bounding box"
As well it works in “dimension”. When scaling “dimizion” changes its value

leex

Probably not - the text dots are “dead” objects, they have no history like dimension objects do…

–Mitch

Whether it is possible to replace the text dots on the !_dim ? inside the script

Well, while dimensions can be added with a script, if I remember correctly, they will not have history… However, if you scale the whole thing including the dimensions, they should update…

The main problems I find with dimension objects are:

1. They use a style which does not change with the scale of the object thus they may be (usually are) too small or too big
  2. They need a plane to lie in and can’t be seen edge-on

For those reasons I don’t use them in this case, I think there would be too much fiddling around to get it right - text dots always face the user and are the same size. If I update I usually just delete the object (the box and dots are grouped) and run the script again.

–Mitch

Mitch, perhaps you already have a Python version of this script (to run it on a Mac as well)?

I do… Here ya go…

–Mitch

BoundingBoxWithSize.py (3.5 KB)

5 Likes

That’s great, thank you!

Just saying thanks @Helvetosaur, this will come in handy one day.

«Randy

Hi there,

Have you or anyone managed to auto dimension bounding boxes of objects on a layout detail view? By adding aligned dimensions?

cheers