Creating an 3D QR code from an image

Hello out there. I am totally new to this program and actually all 3D programs. I am a veteran in Photoshop so I do understand a few of the basics. My challenge is to make a 2D QR-Code, from an image into a 3D object.

Working on Rhino Mac.

Anyone with a good advice?

This is certainly possible but not at all automatic.
There are lots of different ways I can think of.
Suggesting one in particular would depend on how you plan to use the solid model.

The result should be a 3D printed square with each side as a QR code. Similar to the image attached but with depth where the whites are. The size would be around 12 square centimeters.

A quick way you could try is with the ApplyDisplacement command applied to a single face of the cube. This is disply trickery only and you will have to run ExtractRenderMesh on it to extract geometry.

A better but much slower way would be to trace the lines of your image in Rhino and extrude the curves.

Think I have figured it out.
Used illustrator with pen tool and guides in a grit fitting the QR-code. Then opening in Rhino and “extrude” Quite simple.

Found another way that was even faster but made a lot of unnecessary information - Using “highfield from image”

Yes, the heightfield is basically like the ApplyDisplacement but produces a NURBS object instead of a mesh.

I understand you come from 2D with Photoshop and Illustrator and understand that you drew the outlines in Illustrator - after a while in Rhino I think you would prefer to also do this step in Rhino :wink:

Since a QR code is B&W ‘squares’, I would draw a line on x-axis & y-axis, then array each line separately by whatever dimension is needed (0.25mm or 1/16" for example) then with the image underneath I would just trim & then join to create my positive & negative sections. Then extrude desired height & cap.

FWIW «Randy

Can the process automated with image sampler? I mean when the are is black, the outline is extruded…
Is it possible?