XY text centers to Latitude Longitude

I have xyz local autocad coordinates for about 100,000 text objects. For about ten of those, I also have latitude and longitude. If I place a point at each text object, Heron calcs lat long for each point. Heron’s output includes a unique id for each lat long, but does not link it to the existing text object value. I can export all the text object contents with their respective xy to a csv file.

I’d like to add latitude and longitude columns to the table, input lat and long for those rows where it is known, and have the computer compute the lat and long for the remainder of the rows. An alternative might be to tweak grasshopper to compute the lat long based on the center point of each text object and preserve its existing identity in the output > that is above my grasshopper skills.

Plot 21.3dm (2.2 MB)

If you know of a process, more efficient than replacing and re-indexing all the text objects as points - I’d be grateful for the direction.

Thanks,
Jeff

ps. I found conversion tools in QGIS and arcGIS, but none specific to this scenario.

Hi @ibear88 ,
I’m having trouble following exactly what you are trying to do, but you can extract info from leaders using Elefront’s Reference by Type and Deconstruct Dimension, including the insertion point. Take the insertion point and use Heron’s XYtoDD component to get the Lat/Lon and construct a CSV with Lunchbox’s Create CSV component.

20230513_Plot 21 GH LatLon.gh (21.9 KB)

Do you know the survey’s coordinate system? It may help getting more accuracy in the Lat/Lon coordinates.

-Brian

Hello Brian,

This is close. In the output panel - where the headers are 0,X,Y,LAT,LON - I’d like the headers to be - Text Value, X,Y,LAT,LON. For example, the table output for the origin would be - SURVEY_ORIGIN,0,0,37.800114,-122.289711. The output for plot 269 would be - 269,14310.614,12610.448,37.5004,-122.1424 - and so on for all the red text objects. (My lat long for text object 269 is approximate from google earth.)

I tested text object as a value type and it did not function.

I’ve asked the civil engineer what the local flat plane xy projection system is and he has yet to reply. I think it is California State Plane 1983. If it is, however, I believe they have shifted the origin to their local GNSS and total station subscription coordinates.

Thank you for your help.

Jeff

Hi @ibear88 ,
Here’s an update which grabs the Text type and associated text insertion points to convert them to LAT/LON.
20230515_Plot 21 GH LatLon.gh (17.5 KB)

I’ve also suggested a new EAP to get the SWA_CONTROL to be at the center of the fountain. And it appears there’s an approximate 1deg rotation centered around the SWA_CONTROL to get PL_CORNERs to match an aerial. This rotation could affect the accuracy of the LAT/LON values.

-Brian

Hello Brian,
It is fine in your image. For some reason, it is about 100 feet away when I run it here. Every idea I have tried (resetting the EAD coordinates and/or point, changing to another State Plane) has failed.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your patience.
Jeff

Hi @ibear88 ,
Your EAP may still be the old one. Did you try clicking the button connected to Set in the SetEAP component? Once this is done, try recomputing.
-Brian

Yes, but … I just discovered that if i manually set the Earth Anchor Point to your lat and long > then press enter without choosing an EAP point or location when rhino asks for it > that it works (without pressing the button again).

I assume setting the EAP point manually was doing something to mess up the script and setting EAP without setting a point cleared the issue.

Thank you so much for your help. I’ve consulted many people on this, but you got it. Awesome.

Best,
Jeff

1 Like