How to export text objects - content and coordinates?

Hi,

In the attached 3dm file, I have plot numbers sited in in a grid. I’ve tried, but I cannot find a method to export the content and coordinates of each text object. (I can create a point at the center of each text object and export that using export to .txt, but that excludes the text object content ie., the cell number. I can export the text objects to a .csv file, but that includes neither the contents or coordinates.)

I have several latitude / longitude survey points. Ultimately, I’d like to use those survey points to convert the x,y coordinates of each text object to latitude and longitude.

I imagine I should start with getting the text objects out of Rhino in a format readable to a gps/gis app.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks, Jeff

PLOT_25.3dm (1.8 MB)

Hello - see if this python gets you the right thing-
text_pt_ToCSV.py (658 Bytes)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

Thank you so much. Works fine. Brilliant.

(In case somebody else uses it: My machine defaults opening the py output doc in excel and excel puts the text and X coordinate separated by a blank space in the first column. First, I wrote a formula to separate it into two columns, but then realized that if I open excel and then open the py output as a text document - setting the tab delimiter to space instead of tab or comma, excel places the text in column one, the X coordinates in column 2, and the Y coordinates in column 3.)

Anyway, thanks again. I’ll be exporting like 50,000.
Jeff

Hi Jeff - my thing- OpenOffice - reads it like this:

But on opening, I said to use space as the delimiter, not comma. I am separating the number and the xyz with a space and the xyz with commas - it is easy to make it any way you like.

-Pascal

Nice. I suspect your formatting anticipates conversion to latitude and longitude.

If you have a recommendation for an app or script to convert to Lat/Long I would like to give it a go.

Jeff

Hi -

There are several plug-ins for Grasshopper that have components to do that. A quick check on Food4Rhino returns the following: gHowl, Meerkat, Earthworm, Mosquito, Heron, Gismo, …
-wim

I don’t yet have Grasshopper skills, but I will check these out. Thanks.

Hi guys,
This is realy amazing!!
is there a way to change the text in excell and import the changed text again on the same spot using the cordinates?
Thanks in advance for the answer

Hi Erik - you can try this - guaranteed somewhat tested.
ImportTextFromCSV.py (980 Bytes)

To use the Python script use RunPythonScript, or a macro:

_-RunPythonScript "Full path to py file inside double-quotes"

-Pascal

That works perfect!
Thanks for the support .
Rhino really rocks!