Wrap a Base Ball with Wood Veneer

Wondering if there is a way to figure out or a routine that findsSample Surface.3dm (860.2 KB) the shapes that would be cut from a flat material(veneer) into a shape that could wrap an object like a baseball. I work with wood veneer and have a project that has multiple curved nurb surfaces in wall panels. I think the shapes of the individual leaves of veneer need to be cut into shapes like hour glasses, in order for them to be applied. I would need those shapes then flatten or unrolled correctly so we can cut them on a laser. I’m not sure if the extracted isocurves could work for us in that way.

Thank you in advance,
Ron

What i understand, you should do like this way if i misunderstood, skip it.

1 Like

one faster method :slight_smile:

1 Like

I suspect that wood veneer won’t distort that much without blowing apart. He might need darts/slits, or more separate pieces to keep the veneer from splitting apart.

I’m not at my Rhino machine right now, so can’t check this out:

I’m under the impression that Rhino has an option to make a sphere from two surfaces just like the covering of a baseball. Can anyone confirm or tell me if the weekend didn’t come soon enough for me?

Or did I fail to realize that “TestBaseball” is the command I’m trying to describe and not just what you decided to label your starting object, @Gijs ?

it is

Remember, the object is like a baseball, as part of a panel, not a baseball… Ball-based solutions may not work. @revans, could you post an example of the actual geometry if that’s the case?

Jeremy this is correct.
I’m looking more for the shapes from the double curved surface of the panel. I’ve attached a sample of the panel.Sample Surface.3dm (860.2 KB)

Thank you, this is great.
Please see the uploaded sample file. I’m trying to get the shapes of the veneer that would cover this panel.

Well that’s a lot more buildable than a baseball!. Which direction will the grain run?

What I understand, you try to cut the shape of a baseball out of your object, if so, this would be my answer, but as @John_Brock and @jeremy5 say that wood veneer won’t distort, you can experiment a lot to get a good shape to wrap. And I’m not that good with differences between baseball and honkball.

I don’t think the Rhino smash is going to be accurate enough here for a brittle material. I’d be inclined to build a panel and experiment, either with cardboard or veneer strips, maybe an inch or two wide, and a sharp knife. Sometimes the old-fashioned ways are best :wink:

Can you vacuum bag panels this size?

My interpretation of what you want is different from others, so ignore if this isn’t right…

Here is an experiment with the Squish command instead of Smash. It might give a starting point for your laser cut but you should expect to have to do some manual fettling. Big caveat: I have no idea whether this is even accurate enough as a starting point.

I started by converting your two joined surfaces into a single one by extracting the wireframes and a couple of additional isocurves, then joining the horizontal curves and using the set as input to network surface. I rebuilt the surface to get more regular isocurves. I then split the resulting surface into vertical strips using the new isocurves. Finally I squished each strip individually while preserving boundaries and allowing compression only (you can trim and/or relieve the result, whereas expansion could result in surfaces that would split).

I think you would need to experiment with the width of strip that is viable - possibly using narrower strips where the radius is tighter and wider ones where it is looser.

If you intend the grain to run the other way then the strips should presumably go that way too.

Regards
Jeremy

Vertically

This is what I thought might be the process, I just didn’t know if someone had already created a routine. So yes this is great. I’ll have to experiment to see if the shapes are good. Hopefully squashing the shapes doesn’t create abnormalities.

Thank you,
Ron