Working with Default + Custom toolbars is a complete nightmare. We need a fix

It has been a long time that users complain about the toolbars of the user interface and McNeel don’t seem ready to work on it.
I think that there is an opportunity for a small development team to offer a UI project on a project platform like Kickstarter to check if users are ready to pay for it.
I loose time on Rhino because of the toolbars so I would be ready to pay for an external solution.

No, I meant its okay that developers, researchers, etc. are not concerned with it. The planning for user experience and design and how that feeds into a product should be done way before a developer starts coding a certain feature and therefore the responsibility for good UX and Design lies with Product Managers (who in turn focus on things that C-Level tells them to).

Yep! Customer satisfaction is the fundamental goal. Surprise and delight should be the target.

Hi McNeel team,

It’s been over 30 days since I posted this fully detailed and documented workflow issue with 7 problems, many of which could maybe be fixed without a rewrite of the toolbar engine. I have still not seen a single reply from your team here, let alone any bug tracking filed. So I just want to make sure that you at least saw it.

I know you are all busy trying to shipping V7, so should I remind you again in another 30 days? 3 months? 6 months? 2 years?

You tell me when, and I’ll handle the reminding part. This is very important to me and to many advanced users that want to share their work/techniques/tools, and the betterment of Rhino community that this sharing generates.

I do not have access to your YouTrack, but my Outlook calendar works just fine for this. In fact this is why I’m here reminding you today:

So please let me know: when should we setup our next check-in appointment?

Thanks!

Gustavo

PS: For your convenience I list below all the 7 Wonders of the Workspace Files:

6 Likes

Hi McNeel team,

I hope you are doing well. It’s been now over 60 days. Still no response.

Best Regards,

Gustavo

2 Likes

I have to arge:
The instable toolbar layout is easily the most annoying and anti-productive aspect of Rhino.
This should be at the very top of the pile imho.

4 Likes

Hi McNeel Team,

it’s been 134 days with no response:

what’s your plan here?

Thanks,

Gustavo

Problem 1: Rhino updates cannot deliver us reliably new toolbars/tools in Default.RUI without running the super destructive _ResetToolbars (which BTW it closes all other working/open toolbar files, which makes no sense to me).

• The Rhino installer intentionally does not overwrite default.rui to avoid losing any user customizations. ResetToolbars is more or less a reset rhino UI files and does a lot more than just update your default.rui. The easiest, least destructive way to update your default.rui is to close all open Rhino instances, navigate to your “%APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\UI” folder and delete default.rui. Restarting Rhino will cause a new instance of default.rui to extract.

Problem 2: you do not let a toolbar group contain referenced (instead of dumb copies) of toolbars from other custom.RUI files.

• This is because RUI files can get moved from computer to computer and there is not gaurentee referenced RUI files would be present when moved.

Problem 3: if a custom toolbar has linked toolbars that are exact replicas in content and naming of toolbars existing in Default.RUI, you don’t even parse them and compare them, so simply add copies with suffixes 00, 01, 02…

• I’m not sure I understand what you are saying here. If you make a button you are allowed to link it to another toolbar in the same RUI. Linking the button to the toolbar does not make a copy it simply displays it when you long click the button. Depending on your configuration you may get multiple toolbar groups referencing the same toolbar when tearing them off.

Problem 4: The new one I’ve discovered recording this: You cannot even reliably copy a toolbar from one .RUI file to another!

• Do you have an example, dragging a toolbar tab from one group to a group in another RUI should work. There is no way to copy an entire group, you have to do it one tab at a time.

Problem 5: My Icons seem to be disappearing/appearing on mouse over after I moved/copied a ‘separator’

• I will have to try to reproduce this, I’m not sure what might cause something like that to occur.

Problem 6: Tooltip of edit button functionality when I Shift-click or Ctrl-click a button do not show the words Move/Copy.

• Do you not get tooltips when hovering over a button with Shift, Ctrl or both buttons pressed?

Problem 7: Selection filter does not show all its content after Rhino closes and reopens in a toolbar window of the same exact size.

• Are you talking about the selection filter control bar or the a toolbar with selection filter options?