Woodcarving

Mark is right. The video was “Corporate”. I have corrected the video so as not to change the essence of the post. And this is a very good question. On my home computer is the 6th version of Rhino. On the enterprise computer - Rhino 7. A good reason to ask how much they spent on the key.

Impressive.

1 Like

I visited all your masterworks here and believed, you are a genius designer that realizes his works artfully and practically :slight_smile:

I have two questions about patterned woodwork:

1- Which format you use for delivering the Rhino plans to the CNC machines?

2- Do you bend the raw woods (as a prepared and appropriated shape) before machinery and engraving?

Thank you, master

1 Like

I’m going crazy! whatever I exercise to do engraving in NURBS my effort is in vain!

Please…please tell me how do you do that? I beg you to tell me.

If you are not happy to explain in public, please send me the tutorial as a PM. I promise, I will never relate this secret to anyone.

Before sending the tutorial please answer the questions in my first post

Thank you a bunch

1 Like

Hi Sciensman. To begin with, I want to thank you for your kind words and interest in my work.

Next, I will answer point by point.

1. If the client has software like ArtCam, I export models in several formats - STL, 3dm (surfaces), DXF (vectors for limiting and processing). Inside Rhino (RhinoCam), in principle, I use the same thing.
  2. We almost never bend wood. More often we glue the blanks from the component parts. Partitioning helps to minimize waste. And gluing makes the workpiece more stable.

Have no secrets in creating carved elements. Only use basic Rhino tools, occasionally xNURBS. Just there is a set of tools and work algorithms that I am used to that speed up the process. I assume that this is what you call “secrets”))) To begin with, I would advise you to pay attention to surface modeling. Vectors allow you to quickly create precise and controlled shapes, and the subsequent processing of wood “forgives” minor mistakes and imperfections that are inevitable at the beginning. I am also ready to answer any questions in any way convenient for you. If there is a need for personal communication, you can send contact information to the PM.

Best regards,
Andrew.

2 Likes

A graceful reply! I give you thanks as an expert and teacher in Rhino, and artistic woodwork.

Well, as you pointed, there is no secret, I pose my questions publicly.

1- How many types of applications are used for CNC machines that you have to specify a distinguished format according to each one? (at least, for wood)

2- What is the suffix of this format; Inside Rhino (RhinoCam)? I didn’t see such a word in the Rhino output list.

3- Assuming I created this shape (Surface or poly surface) :

How do I change it to a curvature shape in NURBS?

Or probably it is not what you recommended and you did mean another way?

Well, this is what I usually do in NURBS:

I draw one or several polylines. Then I change them into some curves. Dependent on what I want to create, I use loft, sweep, or network of curves. thus I create a curvature shape; for example this one

Did you mean this way? If not, may you show me a simple example?

Thank you

OP: Is that wood beach or oak?
Excellent work!

Hi Sciensman. As far as I understand, you are asking about the software with which CNC machines work. Isn’t it? Most often it is MACH or NCStudio. They are simple, cheap and easy to learn, therefore they are in demand in small woodworking workshops.
For both MACH and NCStudio, we get several possible NC program file extensions (I usually use .tap), but for each system with its own postprocessor.

so, about modeling examples - I once started recording a short video about modeling a classic carved curl. Perhaps this weekend I will return to this topic and finish the video. There will be my basic carving techniques. And, yes, loft, sweep, or network of curves are not all, but some of the basic tools.

Andrew.

1 Like

Thnx, Brenda. We do not use pine too much, except for frames or hidden structures. The main types of wood are ash, beech, oak.

1 Like

Hello, master

I can not have a workshop or CNC machine (due to financial matters and lack of skill and experience), but I need to know which programs they use according to Rhino outputs.

I am thinking, if somebody offers me to design a wooden thing (for shaping with a CNC machine) like what you create and produce, I have to have enough experience in this case.

So, there is no need for me to become familiar with CNC machines programs, but I should know which format of Rhino they need, though probably the client himself will announce to the designer which formats he needs.

I didn’t see the video you mentioned, but I will go back to the topics to find it. I will also wait for your complete video on the weekend.

Thank you very much :slight_smile:

Great work. I look forward in any videos you might make on methods and procedures.