Woodcarving

Funny how people just can’t help but stip their personal taste opinions in with their comment heh. Amazing work, Andrew. Do you have a website?

2 Likes

Thanks. I am happy to share my work. I will also be glad if these examples of work will help at least one person make a choice in favor of Rhino. This is great software.

3 Likes

Thank you. I don’t have a website. And there is no need for it right now - I’m afraid I won’t keep up. I have just been working as a designer-constructor-technologist for 10 years simultaneously with six carpentry enterprises. Of course, I would like to work in one place, and not fly around the country. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: And I will stay sometime in some country. I love Portugal very much, for example. But now there is a big shortage of carpentry designers.

New baluster for stairs. The client ordered a model for further cast iron casting.

10 Likes

@saw-3000 feel free to make for each different product a separate gallery topic. That way your work can show up more frequently on the top banner of the front page. Additionally it helps build your portfolio page on our Discourse.

2 Likes

Really cool to see all these projects and the variety of things you make. These cast balusters are modelled with T-splines right?

Thanks for the tip. It will be useful.

If you have a nice render, or even better, a nice picture of the actual build, put that as the first image. This is what is shown on the gallery page and banner.

1 Like

Thanks. No, I am modeling exclusively in NURBS. Never used T-Splins. I think Rhino’s basic tools are enough for my job.

2 Likes

I got the concept. In the following publications I will definitely use this.

1 Like

That’s superb work. I am struggling with trying to complete something very similar at the moment (for a chair)
Would you be able to summarise your approach in a few words ?
Do you start from a curve, then a pipe and then embellish/clad in Nurbs shapes ?
Are you using Nurbs exclusively ? or do you also switch to SubD ?
Thanks for sharing anyway.
Would you mind sharing a wireframe screenshot so I can understand the structure a bit more ? (I hope you don’t mind my asking, and can understand of you don’t want to do that)

1 Like

Holy crap, that is a great model !! No wonder you are busy!

2 Likes

Thanks. Yes, I always start with curves, that’s the only way for me. I make a completely controllable and predictable surface. Then I cut off what is needed and, based on the geometry that appears, I build the following shapes. I often use reference temporary surfaces, onto which I project curves and points - this is more accurate and faster, it does not take time to adjust. I almost always build open surfaces and poly surfaces. This is usually enough for the CNC machine and so fewer “phantom” meshes are formed.
and the model is facilitated when exporting to STL, for example. My whole setup is the usual Rhino instruments, nothing special

I didn’t like working with T-Splins, I tried to work with SubD, but for now I put it off - I can work faster with NURBS due to the fact that I haven’t mastered SubD yet. I’ll attach an overview of the latest model. I do not keep it a secret)) I am also preparing several videos for YouTube on the manufacture of carved elements from a sketch to a CNC machine. Hope it will be helpful.

11 Likes

I’m never so busy that I don’t try something new. Now I’m trying to make cartoons and collecting tattoo equipment in order to return to the tattoo industry. So if the offer is interesting enough, I can buy a ticket in any direction in the middle of the night. All good.

That’s interesting. Do you do any marketing or do you find clients mostly through word of mouth?

1 Like

I don’t do marketing. I have been working for several years with several furniture factories. In the process of implementing design projects, we encounter manufacturers from other industries - gypsum stucco molding, metal products, etc. Then new points of contact appears. This is how I got one of my main clients - a manufacturer of gypsum stucco moldings. I make molds for him.

So rather the second way is by word of mouth.

1 Like

That’s amazing. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to reply with such a detailed response.
That video walkaround is really helpful to me.
Would be very interested in anything you post in future too. Very inspiring.

1 Like

Your software says “corporate” , is that normal?—-Mark

1 Like

it says commercial in the only screen shot where it’s visible. That is legit.

“corporate” is not legit.

3 Likes