Wish: More options for "Match surface"

Yes, one of the hugely missing functionalities of “Match surface” is the ability to preserve the control point flow while matching with G2 curvature. That must be an option with a tickbox that could be activated or deactivated at any time during the command. The fact that the 3rd row of control points moves along the UV direction is often disturbing and destroys the intended shape of the surface. Activating that option while matching with G2 should affect the 3rd row of control points only in the normal direction, even at the cost of losing some accuracy (i.e. G1,8 instead of a perfect G2). I proposed that approach years ago in multiple threads and sadly it’s still not implemented. I’m pretty sure that many Rhino users would love to use it.

Also, Class-A modeling programs such like Alias benefit from having “Explicit control” over the structure of the surface in the majority of tools, which is basically ability to use “Rebuild surface” inside another active command such like “Match surface”, “Blend surface”, “Sweep 2 rails” etc.

3 Likes