WISH: Automatic Layer Activation

it would be really great if there would be an option to click on objects or curves or whatever which are on separate layers so that the active layer gets sets automatically to the selected object.

that may not always be wanted but it can often help not to get lost in layers and not having to relayer objects after mistakingly working further without setting it prior. its often a bug in the butt i must say…

i have seen a few same and similar requests around so i am making that a new request.
also see here for a related issue Wish: SetLayerToObject also on Groups from one Layer

You mean this: https://global.discourse-cdn.com/mcneel/uploads/default/original/3X/c/7/c70ea23cefb19875474ed4906547c5df094affe3.mp4

If you have multiple objects on separate layers how does Rhino know which layer to make active?

i assume you are talking about grouped objects with groups from different layers. see the attached link for an idea for groups of objects on the same layer. for the rest it could either ignore it or better give you a layer pop up like when you choose an object which has several objects at the same position for example. but most likely i would also not group from different layers specifically while using this as an option.

you selected the red one and it changed the layer, was that with a short cut or alias? i have that set up either but it would be smoother if it would autoactivate the layer if wished.

please reread the issue and also read full paragraphs if possible.

I did read your first paragraph WISH: Automatic Layer Activation and the other 2 paragraphs in your first post and I see nothing about grouped objects in there.

And you stated "[quote=“RichardZ, post:1, topic:40313”]
it would be really great if there would be an option to click on objects or curves or whatever which are on separate layers so that the active layer gets sets automatically to the selected object
[/quote]
"
So how does Rhino know which of the objects you click on (plural) should be the one to be made active?

Yes, read your full paragraph, if possible.

it seems i have placed a wrong link on top my mistake, pls check it out once more it has to do with this issue.
the rest as i have written above and this pls also to be read in full paragraphs.

feeding answers which were discussed does not help.

Mere repetition.
Edit: more repetition :grin:

1 Like

More repetition :wink: