Why does Rhino have lots of issues in filleting complex surfaces while Solidworks usually fillets easily?

Stumbled over the “at the moment…” part of your comment.
Are there any serious plans to overcome this limitation (given that this has been lamented over by users for ages)?
Cheers, Norbert

1 Like

Hi Norbert - yeah, I know… and I do ot have anything encouraging to tell you I’m afraid.

-Pascal

1 Like

Don’t worry, I know how to work my way around it.
Your comment just made me curious.
There are more annoying, smaller bugs in the blendedge/fillet edge commands that needs to be taken care of…

1 Like

Ok, time for some praise as well, because I was pleasantly surprised by this just now:

Rhino extended the small blend surfaces all by itself and managed to keep them closed! :+1: :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sometimes I think this topic should be renamed “why does Rhino have lots of issues filleting simple surfaces”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Green and blue are tangent. Rhino’s FilletEdge attempts to do this in a single surface and fails. Why can’t it just give up and split it into two surfaces, saving us all from a lot of manual work AND getting cleaner fillet surfaces at the same time?

EDIT: An hour later, sort of similar issue… the crazy thing is that these are not advanced fillets! It’s super simple stuff, and Rhino fails (I had to take the body into a different CAD package, and there it was just one click, as it should be)…

(Oh, and the Y-fillet in the bottom left corner there? That’s also a different CAD package, because of course Rhino couldn’t do that either. I’ve said preciously that I’d pay double the price of Rhino for an unfillet command, and I’ll say the same for actual, good filleting capabilities.)

EDIT: This one was new to me…

3 Likes

Throwing another “why does Rhino have issues filleting simple surfaces” on the stack:

1 Like

I would recommend to rename it to:

Why do i get all the SolidWorks files to add fillets in Rhino because they cannot continue with all these red exclamation marks…

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s 2023 by now… still requesting an _AutomagicalFillet4idiot command for the sake of time savings alone. I’m considering a EUR156,500.- a month SW license for just the filleting cuz dem clients just cant get enough of those quick smooth automatic fillets.
Properly filleting polysurfaces in Rhino gets its own subsection on the invoices I send. Client raises an eyebrow and asks “how and why is this still a thing?”…

Love the software though, happy customer overall, you guys are doing a great job, much obliged

6 Likes

Open Broadcaster Software | OBS (obsproject.com) is great for recording your screen…

What the presenter said about ‘parallel vs perspective’ projection effecting the position of geometry is nonsense.

I’m willing to bet it’s not true. The presenter also said something about the ‘black’ color of the part effecting the way SW can interpret the features, which is also nonsense, but I’m willing to assume the presenter merely misused vocabulary there.

And, the video was mostly about transferring geometry between Rhino and SW via .iges/.step formats.

The filleting differences and issues that plague both Rhino and SW as you implied, is yet to be settled – imo. But, I’m still digesting this thread so we’ll see.

Keep in mind you’re commenting on the state of Rhino and SW from 2017.
There has been a lot of development work between then and now.

1 Like

If they wanted to. :blush:

I agree. I don’t see the “advantage” at all. Meaning, I don’t agree that there’s any “advantage”.

Yes Rhino is very surgical in nature and you can create almost any free form geometry, but the point here is about “fillets” and Rhino’s deficiencies in that regard.

Rhino’s filleting deficiencies have been unsolved since antiquity.

I’ll be getting to the bottom of this.

This is getting reiterated many times, which I think is a good thing to reflect on, as I have a few insights on the matter relative to “joined surfaces” – “multi faced breps”… “edges being pulled away” etc.

Also later, I’ll reflect more on the trim problems I’ve seen with polysrf edges, and adjacent srf’s etc.

IKR :sweat_smile: need to add like 40% inflation fee now though haha.

I totally know what you mean. But, I’ll be addressing the polysrf version of problems here cause my opinion is more interested in the fillet edge versions, especially with variabilities of radii.

I prefer it that way, but definitely each method deserves needed attention, while I think the filletsrf version actually avoids alot of the problems that plague the filletedge version. This is partially because one version only has to deal with 2 single srf’s, whereas the other has to deal with many srfs and many adjacent edges to trim, etc.

:sweat_smile: It’s a little better but I know what you mean.

very true. I’m just being sensitive about the presenters comments on parallel and perspective projection cause of my experience with those features in different software. I just think the presenter butchered it a bit.

And I’d say Rhino has very wonderful ability to project perspective as apposed to other programs – some of which have no perspective projection at all, even when they claim they do, like ‘Alibre Design’ for example has very poor perspective projection. And Mastercam has none :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

But, the projections certainly have nothing to do with misplacing object positions as the presenter explained. So, there again maybe a mix-up of terms, idk. Maybe some users work better in different projections than others and it’s really user error rather than software error – in terms of object placement.

Here again I’ll bring up the things like polysrf render-mesh, multi face brep, ‘edges pull away’, and yes the proverbial “Rhino can’t figure out how to remove adjacent srf’s” problem.

Here’s reiterated simple example:

(as fillet gets closer and closer to adjacent edge)
(Rhino then fails to know what to do next) – delete face and fillet…

Yes I somewhat agree, but I’m starting to have anew opinion, whereby Rhino merely shows more truth than most CAD’s.

I like to believe Rhino can become very much better parametrically than even “the best” CAD’s.

I’m probably willing to say Rhino is one of the top 3 or 5 CAD’s, but still has some growing to do.

I agree. The price and the sense of user to seat ownership, makes it the best of it’s kind.

I do remember one of the first important things I ever did with Rhino back in 2004-2007 was I used it to convert files from one CAD program format to another :sweat_smile:

But yes there’s still some fillet evolution to be had :sunglasses:

I agree, but I think it’s all relative to the ‘breps’ and how the surface edges are pulled away during joining of srf’s into polysrf’s, trimming, etc.

as this topic got revived…
please feel free to add your fillet failing examples here:

1 Like

A little tip. Fillet is trimmed surface, which means it could be “not” trimmed. Solidworks sometimes cheating on fillets. Rhino Import stp export from SW, you will find untrimmed fillet surface.

In Rhino, how far trimmed edges are from the underlying surface is supposed to be determined by the user specified absolute tolerance. In theory edges are never supposed to “pull away” from the faces to which they belong any farther than the tolerance.

If you use Rhino’s surface modeling tools on well consturcted surfaces, it is very rare to find edges that are out of tolerance.
In my experience, if you use Rhino’s solid modeling tools you can never be sure that edges will be within tolerance.
And yes, once you have trimmed surfaces with mutilated boundaries that are out of tolerance, it can make subsequent operations using those surfaces much more difficult.

1 Like

Tha’s basically how I’ve understood it since I first began noticing it and testing it.

I think that’s because the solids are deviations from original single faced breps transformed into their proverbial multifaced breps – hence pulled away from originals.

Indeed another good example demonstrating how Rhino doesn’t know how to deal with the adjacent edge and surface, etc. to trim and close.

Some ppl might say “well just merge those two surfaces first” haha. But I intend to provide examples where that’s not an option.

For now, I think the Rhino programmers should figure out why Rhino can’t magically trim adjacent edges properly and delete hangnail faces per say. :blush:

exactly lol

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :sob: :sweat_smile:! rofl so epic. I’m not even sure I could make Rhino do that :rofl:

1 Like