What stories can you share about using Rhino for Mac on your projects?

Same reaction here, and similar progression to Dan’s experience. Missing plugins aside, at first it was… okay, let’s play with this instead of starting the day in Windows. One day it hit me as well…you know, when was the last time I needed WinRhino other than some plugin or missing feature? Can’t remember. And when I do need to sit at WinRhino, my reaction is, yuk, how does this work again. To me, MacRhino just feel smoother, friendlily, easier, and more natural. I may be biased too, and of course, under the hood, it is same core Rhino. IMO - you guys did a great job!

To me it feels similar to the transition to an electric car. At first - wow, that’s quick, smooth, and quiet, nice…but… Then driving electric eventually feels normal. Then, occasionally, I get stuck in the “exploding box” again and think…what the heck is that noise, vibration, heat/stink. Get me out of this thing. Everything is perspective.

I’m a graphic designer and photographer and as such pretty much locked into the mac platform. The mac beta has allowed me to learn 3d and i’m finding my grounding in Illustrator is helping loads.

I’m hoping to move from product photography and into product design. I’m working specificly with injection moulded plastic model kits but have nothing to show as yet.

2 Likes

In june this year I started looking for a program that could help me make illustrations for the analysis I am writing. This analysis is about the shape of the hull of the big wooden ships built in the 17th and 18th century in the Dutch Republic. The essential topic is the use of the mould loft during the process of building. To illustrate the text I needed a program which was able to capture the quite complex shape of the hull because many parts of the ship are depending on this shape. I started trying Rhino in july of this year. Since I wasn’t used to drawing in 3D it took some time to figure out how Rhino worked. Right now the hull of a Man of War built in 1782 in Rotterdam is a fair shape up to waterline 8. For the moment I think Rhino is up to the task and I am enjoying working with the program very much. Here are two pictures of what the half hull looks like.

2 Likes