What export option to use to get Rhino into Affinity Designer?

Steve1,
You might also look into Canvas, an illustration program that includes image editing, and has a technical illustration leaning. Includes dimensions. Also multi-page documents, with page design.
http://www.canvasgfx.com/en/products/canvasx
It imports Illustrator up to CS, DWG, and PDF

Hi,

I’ve started a thread at the Affinity forum to remind Serif to solve this:

Cheers!

1 Like

I hope this is resolved in the near future. I use Affinity Photo and plan on buying Designer soon, thus cutting my ties to Adobe. It would be a drag to not be able to go directly back and forth from Rhino.

1 Like

Thanks so far, should Affinity talk to McNeel or McNeel to Affinity.
or who sees the advantage and acts as mediator ?
I used to go from Freehand to Rhino.
I need easy vector and love Rhinos tools but Rhino cant fill in areas of colour then allow change of that colour via altering in a colour palette, as easily as a vector prog can, especially as one needs to use cmyk, try using Rhino for etch brass sheet designing for example.
Freehand cut a line was archaic compared to Rhino but Affinity is lacking in the snip dept when I last tried, major oversight. One has to cut in vector yet they had not foreseen that need.
Maybe they have fixed it now, I wish it was as per Rhino method.
Steve

I just purchased Affinity designer and I saw the ai problem.
this problem could be solved if you have the beta version 6 of Rhino that’s able to natively export svg.
I already tried with some draw without any problem.

1 Like

Whaaat? Great that Rhino finally has SVG export! I have been awaiting this feature for like 13 years.

I used to export in AI, then open it in Illustrator to convert to SVG. About 2 years ago I started to use Affinity Designer, so my only option was to export as a DXF, import into OpenOffice Draw and export as a PDF to import into Inkscape.

This native export to SVG makes everything so much simpler. Kudos to the Rhino team for finally implementing SVG export!

Hi,
V5
what apart from .svg can be used to get rhino into Affinity designer 1.8 ?
Need RhinoV6 for svg and unable to buy it at the mo.

Steve

The V6 evaluation period is 90 days, so you can use all the features until it expires.
Other than that, the tedious process that I described seems to be the only solution on V5: DXF > OpenOffice Draw > PDF

Look at @wim’s link for the SVG plugin for rhino5.

as far as I understand from all the threads on the forum. svg will be the way to go for the future export-import-workflow between affinity and rhino, right?
(see also @wim 's response in Layer support in SVG Export)

just a tiny question: will we see the svg layer structure implemented in an RH6 update or rather RH7 (hoping for the first option, of course. :wink: )

thanks for the update

Hi George - That feature request is on our list as RH-38196, which is visible to the public. It is currently slated for a “future” release target which currently means “sometime after Rhino 7”. I’ve added your request to that item.
-wim

3 Likes

Add my vote as well
+1 for layer structure in SVG!

Affinity Designer doesn’t support any “advanced” selection tools, like select same appearance or select same stroke… That means, that bringing in any complex drawing into affinity designer without any layer structure will make almost impossible to properly edit that file. IMO, .svg support without layer support is useless to my workflow so please consider adding this feature if you are not going to update .ai export to a newest format.

4 Likes

Has anyone of you figured out a workflow where I can export a 2d drawing from Rhino to Affinity Designer and I when I import it it keeps me the layers?

Currently this is not possible without adding another app to the process.
If you own illustrator, my case, you just export as .ai from Rhino, open it in illustrator and save as newer illustrator file. Affinity designer support illustrator import just not the one used by rhino (very old format).

If you don’t have any other vector app and don’t want to invest in any of those, you could try saving your file as .dxf and opening it in Inkscape ( open source) and saving from there as .svg. I have not tried this workflow recently, so it may not work but you can give it a try.

Anyone knows a good way to import hatches in Affinity Designer? When I do it over pdf it makes all single triangles…

Try file export to PDF instead of the print command. On Mac, file export uses a custom PDF writer instead of Apple’s PDF printer driver built into the print dialog.

1 Like

Pdf works well, except for hatches.
Hatches can be exported well as svg, only in the layout dialog it is apparently not possible to export svg and maintain the size of the layout format (p.e. A1, A2, A3…)

What I was not yet able to achieve is maintaining the Rhino the layers in Affinity.
Is that more a problem of Rhino or Affinity Designer?

the voices on the affinity forums regarding dxf/dwg are loud and constant. the resilience from their side though they talked about consideration, is astonishing. sooner or later they will have to yield to this wish. a work around including layers and hatches is always to use illustrator. but that is just plain stupidity when one actually wants to avoid it while using affinity products…

3 Likes

Hi - you didn’t answer to Steve’s request. Are you on Mac? How are you creating the PDF?
-wim