Visual Studio changing plug-in from V6 to V7

Hi guys,

Working on a plug-in, I was gonna implement a feature that’s only available in V7 Rhinocommon and realized my plug-in’s references are still from V6. So I deleted them and replaced them with the corresponding dll’s from Rhino 7 but now I get a bunch of errors saying I’m missing the namespace:
|Error|CS0246|The type or namespace name ‘Rhino’ could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

What’s the correct way to change Rhinocommon from V6 to V7? And how can I fix the error’s I’m getting now? For some reason when I click on the errors to go to the file/location, the error disappears. So I tried clicking on each error to open the file where the error occurs and got rid of them but then as soon as I closed those files again and tried Building the solution I ended up with the same errors.

Any idea what to do here?

I found what the problem was. I had to change the “Target framework” to .Net Framework 4.8 under Properties<Application.

Hi - is there a way to get the target framework to use .Net 5.0 or 6.0? I want to use RhinoCommon with TorchSharp and DiffSharp but they won’t work for .Net Framework 4.8?

This is not possible for Rhino 7. Rhino 7 loads and runs all plugins into .NET Framework 4.8.

The Rhino 8 WIP for Mac is using .NET 6 and we are investigating the possibility of using .NET 6 on Windows as well.

That’s great news - any idea when RhinoCommon for Rhino 8 WIP will reference .NET 6?

We’re still trying to figure out what to do with respect to Rhino 8. We need to be able to continue to load and execute everything under .NET Framework 4.8 in order to continue to support scenarios like Rhino.Inside Revit. We feel that we can support both .NET 6 under normal operation of Rhino and .NET 4.8 in other cases, but that still needs to be proven.

Yes, there seems to be some breaking changes in some of the dependancies, in particular MonoDevelop. I wonder whether two targets can be available depending on the specific use case. Will be very interested to see how it works.

Alternatively for my use case will Rhino 8 have python integrated so that we can use condo ends and import packages?

That’s much easier to answer :grinning:

See

2 Likes