Variable Thickness for Surface Offset

I’m wondering if there is a way to offset a surface with variable distances along the surface? I want the offset to be tapered, thick on one end and thin on the other. I’ve attached my grasshopper definition so far which offsets a surface the same distance everywhere but I’m stuck on what to do next to get a variable offset. Many thanks for any help in advance!

surface_thickness_basic.gh (15.9 KB)

Something like this?

surface_thickness_basic-b.gh (9.6 KB)

3 Likes

Yes! Thank you so much.

Hi Ethan, I ran into another problem when I try to turn these two surfaces into a closed brep. I use the DeBrep component to get the surface edges in order to loft between them (so I can then join everything together into a Closed Brep) but I’m getting an error because the edge curves are open. Do you know why the curves are open and/or how I can get the edge curves to be closed? I’ve attached the definition for as well. Thank you for the help!

open_curves_problem.gh (392.1 KB)

Hi Ken, I rebuilt your initial surface, and made sure the edge curves were oriented in the same direction. I hope the result still falls within your specifications.Oh, and I used the Rebuild Surface component from Pufferfish, although there are others out there, like in Lunchbox…

open_curves_problem-b.gh (395.2 KB)

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the help Ethan.