Variable fillet in GH?

You are absolutely correct, Tom, about the pros & cons of GH VS production level 3D modeling tools. I’ve read many of the postings that point out the limitations of GH VS software like SolidWorks & Catia. Programs like those exist for people doing real work on real products in the real world.

That is not my situation at all; I do 3D printing at home as a hobby and I make all my designs available online for free. So for me GH is the ideal tool because it lets me design things quickly, make quick changes, and produce parts that have an acceptable appearance.

I’ve had several situations where I tried to produce something, but simply was unable to do so. So I just gave up and started something else. Such is the benefit of a hobby. My son, who does work in the real world, pointed out on a few occasions how to use SolidWorks or Catia to accomplish what I was trying to do with GH. Needless to say I appreciated his input, but those are not products a hobbyist would have access to.

The Spouts part, although totally useless, has been the most complex geometry I’ve developed so far. Even though the fillet mismatches it has would render it unacceptable in the real world, it was interesting and instructive for me to go through the various stages of developing the fillets. And I was most appreciative of the help I got from this forum when I got stuck. So who knows, maybe this entire scenario will prompt David or someone to make some improvements or additions to GH/Rhino.

1 Like