V6 and high-resolution displays

i am switching from an old dell workstation with 32" display (2560x1600) to a new hardware configuration - no monitor by now (so i need some advice).
at the same time i am switching from rhino 5 to 6.
as everybody knows, version 5 caused some headache on highres displays, which also was a reason for me to wait for better support and rhino 6.
i made a quick search, but did not really find anything promising besides this old thread:
https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/4k-display-on-windows-fixed/17959

in the rhino 6 options, the only settings i have found by now are three different sizes of buttons (which have already been there in V5) and the possibility for setting drag strength on highres displays.

what about menu size, dialog boxes, status bar, etc.?
are there any improvements in V6 as promised in the the thread mentioned above?

two other things i should mention:

• i am a hardcore win7 user and do not intend to switch to 10 soon
  • i have 53 years, my eyesight is getting weaker from year to year. i am looking for a monitor between 32" and 43". if it is not possible to do straightforward and proper scaling of all rhino interface items (for 4k or 5k) i would at least want to know in order to find a good monitor for my needs.

thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I am running R6 on a 28" Monitor in 4K at home. They did make plenty of improvements. I can’t say what’ll happen when you go to a larger monitor but the button & text size for the interface is basically the same size as R5. I’m at work now so i can’t post a screen shot. I’ll try to remember when I get home from work.

did you do any adjustements or settings (options) or just use rhino 6 out of the box?

Good morning @brt1
I just used Rhino out of the box.

Good morning @brt1
Here is an image of Rhino with medium buttons on. No changes to install.

Here is an image with large buttons and the options dialog open.

Hope this helps.

i assume, the screenshots are your actual screen resolution (3840x2160), right?
when displaying them fullscreen on my 32" screen, the text objects (menu, command line, dialog box) are at the bottom end of readability. on a 28" screen it would not work for me.
so the question still is: are there any possibilities to adjust the text size or is there an automatic behaviour (detection and scaling) in rhino, which i have to accept?
could anybody at mcneel please give an official statement, how rhino 6 handles highres screens?

Yes, that’s a screenshot off my 28" in 4k.

Dear brt1
did you experiment with the settings on system-level?
windows 7 / 10 both over DPI - Settings - not sure if the effect the Viewports different then the menu-Bars.

for details see
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/get-a-better-view-in-windows-7-by-adjusting-dpi-scaling/

best Tom

yes, i am aware of the OS settings/tweaks. as pointing out in my original message i am refering to another thread (4k-display-on-windows), which suggests various workarounds for the problem.
in the same thread, john brock states that “the issue will be addressed for V6”. that is why i am asking …

There is an advanced settings menu where the user could specify how large the command line text to be, among many others. Maybe it will be possible to increase the text in some other fields, too. Who knows…

FWIW I run Rhino 6 out of the box on a Surface Book which has a hires screen (3000x2000 px) with a mere 13.5" diagonal and all the controls are a sensible size (unlike the Adobe CS6 suite out of the box, say).

But that’s under Win10, so I’m afraid I cannot comment on Win 7. However, I would recommend revisiting your decision to stick with Win 7 - I upgraded and never looked back.

the command prompt font size has been there since ages.
besides this setting i cannot find anything else dealing with font size under “rhino otions … advanced …”

i have various reasons (hard- and software) to stick with windows 7. as i explicitely pointed this out in my original message, i want to ask you not to lead the discussion off-topic. thanks
and yes, it´s well known that adobe did not really solve the problem before CC. this also is not the point here …

Ouch

On my home PC I use a 43" 4K Sony TV (43XD8305 with 100Hz IPS panel) instead of a monitor. Because Windows 7 has really poor support for upscaling (no matter 125%, 150%, 200% or any custom %), I set my graphics card to send 1080p/100Hz signal to the TV and it performs just great with the sRGB/BT.709 colour space and “Graphics” preset, except that I don’t see true 4K picture. The TV itself upscales the 1080p to 4K (which is exact 200% to keep the picture quality as good as possible) and I turned on its super resolution mode called “Reality creation”, which makes the text and thin lines extra smooth without adding any input lag. This way the picture is much sharper and looks like 3,5K. :slight_smile: The latter setting will no longer render true 4:4:4 chroma, but that’s only visible in extremely rare occasions such like with testing 1x1 checkerboard calibration images. Only Sony TV’s have such software upscaler that works flawlessly, and they are the only TV brand that don’t have flickering as they use Direct current instead of PWM for controlling the backlight.

I strongly recommend to use 43" IPS Sony TV from the 8th series instead of any 43" monitor (some of their models use VA panels, so make some research so that you pick the IPS one which is better for use as a monitor due to its superior viewing angle and more accurate colours). Keep in mind that these so-called 4K monitors use cheap LCD panels and most of them even don’t have true 4K resolution. Many of them are IPS or VA fake 4K with checkerboard pattern (50% less pixels for the VA panels) or WLED/RGBW pixels (25% less pixels for the IPS panels). The problem with these cheap 4K IPS monitors is that they have a 4th, white sub-pixel to the regular red, blue and green ones. This effectively makes them 75% 4K and watching text or thin lines in Rhino with such fake 4K panels is definitely not a good experience. It also produces strange artifacts and yellowish tint to random areas of the screen. If you are going to buy any monitor or TV, make sure to test whether it is able to render the actual resolution (4:4:4) and colours according to its advertised specifications.

Use this test image to detect whether the LCD panel works at native resolution (it must show 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2):

Check these links that describe the scam with 4K panels in detail:

sorry, did not mean to be offensive.

thanks a lot for the extensive information!
i did some quick research following your links and it definitely looks like an interesting option.

1 Like

We put a lot of effort into supporting high res displays in V6 with the goal being that you shouldn’t have to make any adjustments. There are still three button sizes available, but those sizes auto-adjust based on higher DPI setups. Menus and other screen text should match the sizes that all other applications running on Windows will have.

I’m not sure what other “promised features” you are looking for, but in general Rhino 6 should work well on high DPI screens and be readable.

I am 65 years old and I use 4K (= UHD = 3840x2160 pixels) monitor (Dell U2718Q). Its diagonal size is 27 inches (68.47 cm). I can see everything clearly because the monitor is close to my nose. details: Should I get a 4k monitor? - #4 by Andrew_Nowicki

Three things that work great on our end are:

• Rhino 6 with latest service release
  • Windows 10
  • Dell Ultra HD 4k Monitor P2715Q 27

Windows High DPI scaling is much improved in Windows 10 vs Windows 7 IMO. And Rhino interface has 3 scaling options that most likely will work well for you.