Using the TAB key between form fields with plugins

So, I have noticed that getting the TAB key to work with a rhino plugins is tough for me.

But I also noticed that RhinoNest also has the same problem. So I am hoping someone here has the key to fix this and could share it.

This is what I have found so far. Below is the main menu for my plugin.

Protected Overrides Function RunCommand(ByVal doc As RhinoDoc, ByVal mode As RunMode) As Result
            ' TODO: start here modifying the behaviour of your command.
            ' ---
            Dim mainForm As MainMenu
            mainForm = New MainMenu()
            mainForm.setDoc = doc
            mainForm.Show(RhinoApp.MainApplicationWindow())

Return Result.Success
        End Function

I use .Show(), because that seems the best way to work for me.

If I use .ShowDialog(), I can use the tab key, but ShowDialog is not what I need.

I even tried to use Application.Run, but Rhino runs on the main thread and any rhinocommon wont run unless I use some sort of thread management.

This is how I show a form from my main menu form.

Private Sub bomButton_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles bomButton.Click
        Dim textureObject = rs.ObjectsByName("TEXTURE")
        Dim bomManager As BOMManagerForm
        bomManager = New BOMManagerForm()
        If (textureObject IsNot Nothing) Then
            bomManager.Show(MainMenu.ActiveForm)
            bomManager.StartBOMManager()
        Else
            MsgBox("RhinoDek did not detect that the BOM was inserted.")
        End If

End Sub

Has anyone gotten the tab key to work with a rhino plugin?? What is it that I am doing wrong?

I’ve tried setting the focus with form.Activate, I’ve tried different owners inside Show() but I still can’t get this to work.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Alan,

Let me know if this helps.

https://github.com/dalefugier/ModelessFormTabProblem

– Dale

Thanks for that.

I have read the info on using a hook, but I am trying to find a faster way around it. I also have to make this plugin… future proof. In case something happens to me and the company needs someone else to work on it. So I can’t add to much craziness too it.

I have started this little thing… I’ll just post the code to show where I am going with it. I have around 4 years in programming in game dev, so I am applying those skills into make this auto tab work with out hooks.

Private Sub Tab_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyPressEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyPress

Dim ctrl As Control
        For Each ctrl In GroupBox1.Controls
            If Keys.Tab Then
                If ctrl.GetType() Is GetType(TextBox) Then
                    ctrl.Focus()
                End If
            End If
        Next ctrl

End Sub

It’s not perfect, as of now, it only goes to the very last textbox in the groupbox… but hey… at least I got it to move with the tab key :slight_smile:

But it is odd, I sent out a rs.Print(ctrl.ToString()) to see what its getting… and for some reason it spits out the entire list at once. Not sure whats up with that. It should only iterate through each ctrl one by one. I’ll have more time to work on it tomorrow.

Thanks for the support :slight_smile:

Edit,
I might throw this in a loop and just step through it with a counter… just brain storming. thoughts?

Edit all of that… wow… I pulled almost 60 hours this week… so I am not thinking correctly lol.
For OBVIOUS reasons, that for each loop wont work… let me sleep. I know what to do. I’ll share my findings, cuase I know there are LOTS of devs that would like this as a more simple work around.

So i have come up with this

Dim ctrlList As New ArrayList
Dim ctrlListCount As Integer
Dim ctrlCount As Integer    

Public Function StartNewProjectForm(ByVal doc As RhinoDoc) As Result
    For Each ctrl In GroupBox1.Controls
        If ctrl.GetType() = GetType(TextBox) Then
            ctrlList.Add(ctrl)
        End If
    Next ctrl

ctrlListCount = ctrlList.Count()
    Return Result.Success
End Function

Private Sub Tab_KeyPress(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.KeyEventArgs) Handles Me.KeyDown

If ctrlCount < ctrlListCount Then
       If e.KeyCode.Equals(Keys.Tab) Then
            ctrlList(ctrlCount).Focus()
            ctrlCount = ctrlCount + 1
       End If
   Else
       ctrlCount = 0
   End If

End Sub

It works… but it’s backwards in the tab order.

I also thought of another way to do this, but I don’t know how. My other thought is setting the tag on all input boxes to “text” or something like that. Storing all those in an array, and index them everytime you press tab.

Thoughts on this?