Using a 2d digitiser in Rhino 6

can rhino 6 handle large format digitisers like the large-format digitizer “GTCO calcomp V1”? in rhino 4 the issue I had was if the view was zoomed then scale was lost… it needs to be able to Digitise points accurately 1 to1 from the board.
Ideally I would like to start rhino, plug in the usb connect for the board and digitise straight into rhino.

is this possible in Rhino 6?

Hello - sorry, I really do not know - we do not have one of these, but off hand I’d expect no changes in V6.

-Pascal

Hi @adrian,

If you are going to use an absolute pointing device, such as a digitizing tablet, then we suggest turning off Rhino’s viewport cursor wrapping feature.

– Dale

1 Like

Hi Dale

thankyou, does this stop the scaling issue i had previously in Rhino 4?

Hi @adrian,

I don’t know of the “scaling” issue you mentiion - sorry.

– Dale

Hi Dale

I have asked questions about this quite a few years ago and had hoped there were improvements since rhino 4 in rhino 6>
I have also seen other people mention 2d digitising on the forum.
i think it would be great if it was handled well within Rhino there are many people digitising on these tablets.

I have created a short screen capture video explaining this issue, see below.
I stuck a bit of masking tape to my Digitiser board with 7 off X’s on it, you can see the points being captured i then zoom in and run the capture again and as you can see the second set of point are at a different scale even though they are exactly the same set of points.
they are also in a different position to the others?

My digitiser is quite large at approximately 1500mm x 1100mm and is very accurate but if i digitise a large object with detail it gets harder to see and would be great if i could zoom in and out to have a look at the digitised points etc…

• ideally what would be great is if we could set the bottom left point of the digitiser board to absolute datum in Rhino and then all points or lines / curves etc… digitised in positive X and positive Y or to the right and up from the triad datum.
    or if when digitising we could initially digitise the 4 corners of the board to set the working area.
    and regardless of zoom or mouse movement in rhino it will always track from absolute datum accurately via the digitiser puck

• this is also 2d so it needs locking in the top view port.

• or if zoom not possible something like a “lock screen” option so whilst digitising the view port is fixed and can’t move.

• ideally we need a 1 to 1 absolute digitised input as that would really work well. however as long as the digitise points were proportional the scale doesn’t matter as the finished digitising can be re-scaled after to the correct scale. but 1 to 1 would be best.

• at the moment accidental movement of the PC mouse can cause position issues and We need to trust the input as we will be creating parts from the data.

I hope the guys at Mcneel can see the use of this and be able to either say it will work in some way or make an update so it can work.

i am sure it can’t be that hard to sort as it is almost working…

I look forward to your reply.

Hi Pascal

I posted a video showing the issue when digitising in this post, did you see it?

Hi Dale

Did you see the video i posted?

Hi @adrian,

Yes I have.

Rhino does not have built-in support for 2D digitizing devices, such as those made by Calcomp, Wacom, etc.). That is, you cannot configure Rhino for a 2D digitizer, nor does have a 2D calibration command, similar to AutoCAD’s Tablet command.

Basically, if you use 2D digitizer, Rhino has no way of knowing the input is coming from anything other than an ordinary mouse.

– Dale

Hi Dale

thankyou for your reply. this would be a good asset to have in Rhino, i am sure there are many other users that could do with simple 2d digitising facilities for pattern making…

Let’s see how many users weight in on this topic.
My seat of the pants guess is we are asked about this maybe once every couple of years. Not a lot of need.

The vast majority use a scanned image attached to a surface (Picture command), then the surface is positioned, scaled, and locked so you can trace over it just like you would with a big tablet digitizer.

Hi @adrian,

With the myriad of device available, it just not possible for us to support all of them.

That said, we have a very robust API that would allow the makers of these devices to support Rhino. For example, the folks at 3dconnexion have written a custom plug-in that allows Rhino to use their devices.

If your have a device that does not support Rhino, then you might consider lobbying the manufacturer.

Thanks,

– Dale

Hi john

I have been using picture frames and tracing them for years,

The only issue with the picture frame method is that photos are distorted and have perspective so not very accurate for decent 2d tracing …

This is where 2d digitising excels

Regards adrian

Hi Dale
I understand there are a myriad of devices but if it acts as a simple mouse pointer then surely this is the same for all of them?
could some tools not be created in rhino to set the screen size based on some points (would be extreme corners of the digitiser) then lock the screen to this size / resolution then it might be good to go?

Hello,

I have the same problem.
I bought a Roll Up 3 (3648) GTCO Calcomp digitiser

I use different programs like Rhino 6, ZW-cad and Wincap.
You whould suppose this would work well together since it is indicated in the documentation I added.
But nobody has been able to help mee yet.