Unable to set Camera Target in V7

Hi guys!

I’m facing a weird issue today. I found that I’m unable to position the camera target in V7 I needed to use TurnTable command and as it relies on the camera target I wanted to set the camera target exactly to Origin (0,0,0) and no luck … Rhino is always giving me weird results I’m typing in 0 and it changes it to for eg 120 or other arbitrary values. The same if I try to place it in 0 location or even try to pick point in 0,0,0 with osnap. So anim is always off the axis …

Just checked V5 and V6 (both latest SRs) and there’s no issue. I haven’t fully moved to V7 with commercial work but I already see I would have HUGE trouble with setting precisely camera for product shots…

@pascal Would you mind addressing this to the appropriate person? Let me know if you need a screen capture or something.

I am also getting random results when I use the Properties panel, but I can orient the camera widget with snappy Gumball - I use the Gumball to move target point of the camera widget.

more info about the camera widget: Camera | Rhino 3-D modeling

If you want even better numerical control of the camera I can recommend using Grasshopper for it. In the Heteroptera plugin there is a Camera Crane component that lets you control a Rhino viewport from Grasshopper. Then just add some sliders and add them to the RCP panel in Rhino.

We have been using this for a while now to control different camera setups. This way we basically have target cameras that can stay fixed on a certain object, point, plane, etc.

@andrew.nowicki @seltzdesign

Guys, I really appreciate your input on this. Though it doesn’t change anything in terms of bug report(?) I mean I don’t see any reason why we would try to excuse the unpredictable camera target, especially when it is working perfectly in v5 and v6.

@seltzdesign I thought many times about making small def for better camera control and I wonder how your setup looks. Ahh after a while I recalled that @Jarek made a huge job in this area with Sparrow.

Hi @D-W,

I don’t see this problem here in V7, can set the target to 0,0,0 via properties panel, in all projection modes.
I assume you know the target value displayed is for the active vport only, right? Another thing to check that may reveal anything wrong is to turn on camera points (_Camera _Show) - it will show cam points in all other viewports… maybe this will give you some more clues when observing what happens to it once you type in the Properties panel…
Thx for the plugin shout-out, in fact I think you meant Stork, Sparrow, while helping with view navigation, is more of an overall work speedup tool.

–jarek

I can show you how we use it. We use it together with V-Ray for Grasshopper, which has it’s own camera component. We have these “placement boxes” which are like containers to place objects and the camera is relative to this box. You then have some sliders to control the pitch, yaw and distance of the camera as well as the camera lens length. Then we use the heteroptera component to set the viewport in Rhino and also set the camera for V-Ray. That way the camera in Rhino and in V-Ray for Grasshopper are identical. Otherwise it is kind of hard to tell what the V-Ray camera in Grasshopper “sees”.

It’s all part of a larger patch, but I will isolate the interesting part and post it here for you.

1 Like

@seltzdesign thanks for taking your time to do that!

@Jarek yup actually I thought about both but both are starting with letter S :sweat_smile: Interesting you’re able to do that. Check below:

Same happens if I try to pick point (at 0,0,0) beneath.

Ok previous was maybe too quick so second one:

Any chance you have CPlane on? Here if I type 0 (Place Target) with custom CPlane, it goes to its center instead of World…

Uhh… Good point I didn’t set any new Cplane but worth checking anyway… Check the second vid above and the third below…

I see, that’s really odd… how do you rotate the view that it makes the target jump from 0,0,0 instantly? Is it the Turntable?
Also, did you try in 4 views turning on Camera points just to see what’s going on once it rotates?
I see the problem but it does not behave like that over here.

I used just left and right arrow. But notice that only sometimes 0,0,0 values are jumping in mostly when I click Place and type 0 I get some arbitrary values - after placing 3-4 times (sometimes 2 is enough) values are 0,0,0 just till the moment I try to rotate cam - no matter how turntable to by arrows or right click…

Yup, I tried I made a circle and turned on the cam widget and I see that camera jumps off 0,0,0 and turns around some arbitrary one.

Just for comparison how it works in v6:

Do you have 3DConnexion space mouse by any chance or other similar device?
Does this help:

2 Likes

Ahaha … I work on CAD mouse and space mouse but space mouse is turned off currently - will check this in a sec - but not sure why v6 isnt affected then :thinking:

@Jarek Holy guacamole! :open_mouth: Indeed actually it is caused by the driver itself. I wasn’t using space mouse for a longer while - actually i even had to charge it a bit to make it work - exactly due to that i assumed it cannot be related … My fault guys sorry for inconvinence :flushed:

1 Like