Unable to export Object Name from .3DM to .DWG format

Hello all,

I am facing issue on export from .3DM file to .DWG export. I couldn’t able to export object Name (field data) of the closed curve element into CAD file. Export is successful, but data is missing inside the field.
Let me know the reason and cause of the error.

And, object ID as well changed from the source file to export DWG file.

Kindly assist me on this

Hi Ashok - I don’t know where 3ds files come into the picture but, perhaps you mean 3dm; in any case , if you can post a Rhino (3dm) file with an object and the same object exprted to dwg, we can get a better idea what you are asking about.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, Sorry for the confusion. It’s my typo error - It’s 3DM format
I will share the 3DM file shortly.

Test File - R1.3dm (80.7 KB)
In the attached 3dm file, you can see 3 closed curves object are there.

1. BLOCK_002 (Name Field) - Object ID: 7aca5b37-0797-499b-b542-a568c68b6b4e (47)
  2. BLOCK_008 - ID: d7cc0897-70c0-4054-b91c-3312371959a8 (48)
  3. BLOCK_009 - ID: b24e148a-41d9-4ad3-bd4a-907b8e8459cf (49)

When we try to export this 3DM file into DWG then, we can’t able to see in name field and object ID is changed.

In DWG file,
BLOCK 002 - Name field is empty and Object ID changed to “d6a8eb61-5d3f-4614-8016-38151436d921” (45)

Hi Ashok - can you please also post the dwg export of these?

-Pascal

I am facing issue on export dwg file in this forum. Do you have any other options to share

Hi Ashok - I would like to have the dwg file that you get when you export the curves from the file you posted above - we need this to understand what it is that is not working.

-Pascal

1 Like

Hi Pascal, I can’t able to upload in the forum and facing issue. I sent you a private message. Please check and let me know once you received at your side. Thanks for your prompt help and support

Hi Ashok - the file should be quite small - try zipping it. Or send it in an email to tech@mcneel.com to my attention.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal - File size is just 53 KB. I tried zipping option as well. I don’t know, why it’s getting failed at my side.

OK - never mind for now, I am asking the developer about object names - it appears these are not exported to dwg at all but I am just making sure.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal - I have sent email to you with attached DWG file for your reference. Kindly have a look and let me know, if you didn’t receive at your end.

Thanks for forwarding to development team and looking forward the solution or workaround.

• Ashok

Hi Ashok - from what I can see so far, object names are currently not exported to dwg/dxf.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal - Yes, you’re 100% correct. And as well, i noticed Object ID (GUID) number also changed after export to DWG file

Would it be possible to add this to the export options?

1 Like