Turn off the Block assignment for imported items?

I use a lot of imported files that I do not require Block assignments for. Having to explode and purge every imported item becomes a big pain in the ass when trying to work with the data.

Is there a way to shut off the Block assignment on import ? Would like to adjust the import settings so that nothing is assigned a Block Definition unless I specifically request it.

Cheers,

Steve

Hello -You can try this thing and see if it helps - works in 7.

ExplodeBlocksToLayersV6.rhp (14 KB)

If you do not want all the layers, you can set the command line option before selecting the block.
Block definitions are purged.

Unblock the rhp file in Windows and then drag and drop onto Rhino to load it and enable the
ExplodeBlocksToLayers command.

-Pascal

Plug in works but it still adds quite a few steps to a simple part import. Doesn’t really save much time as I still have to do all of these steps post import every time I bring something in. Is there not a way to shut off the assignment of Blocks to imported files ? Seems like this should be a fairly simple setting in properties somewhere.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve - are you brining in step files, or Rhino files, or?

-Pascal

Clients provide files in various formats depending on the project and their internal capabilities. .step, .iges, .xt, SolidWorks, etc. are all common. I never use Block instances and would ideally like to completely shut it off on import.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve - if blocks are in the file, Rhino reads them in… it’s not a property or anything like that.
When imported, objects are selected, so run the plugin command right then and you should be all set, I think.

-Pascal

Do understand but there must be a way to add a feature to Rhino to ignore blocks on import if requested… or have Block Definitions ignored globally through a master setting.

I could have a design which requires up to 20+ imported files… having to run a plugin, or workaround, for each import becomes really teadious. If I forget to run it and have block issues I then have to manually find and purge all of them.

Would assume by the response that there is no way to currently force Rhino to ignore the Block detail on import if requested. Please consider this a " Feature Request " for future updates… : )

Something like this would be awesome.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve - it may well be possible, I’ll ask. Meantime, a macro

! _Import _Pause _Pause _ExplodeBlocksToLayers

-Pascal

That actually works fairly well for my application… Thanks.

I’ll assign a button to use that option for any file imports. Should save me a decent amount of aggravation when working with larger numbers of imported files.

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Steve - I can add this functionality to the plug-in so you won’t be left hanging at the command prompt when a file comes in with no blocks in it. I’ll do that - but you might need to remind me, I have a full day today and will forget, most likely.

-Pascal

Pascal,

Have run into another issue that I am not 100% sure is related. I use Rhino 5.0 still for boat analysis with Orca 3D. Both versions are installed on the same computer. After I adjusted Rhino 7 as per your notes above Rhino 5.0 now crashes on start up. It freezes on this command every time I try to start the software.

Rhino 5.0 starts fine in Safe Mode but I can’t seem to find how to eliminate the Command open noted above.

Cheers,

Steve

what does that mean, exactly? Installing the plug-in? What if you move it, delete it, or rename it, with Rhino closed, does that fix anything?

-Pascal

As per your notes above.
Hello -You can try this thing and see if it helps - works in 7.

ExplodeBlocksToLayersV6.rhp (14 KB)

If you do not want all the layers, you can set the command line option before selecting the block.
Block definitions are purged.

Unblock the rhp file in Windows and then drag and drop onto Rhino to load it and enable the
ExplodeBlocksToLayers command.

-Pascal

Will try removing manually.