Text tool causes delay/spinning beach ball

(Info) #1

Using the latest build (Version 6 WIP (6.15.19064.12046, 2019-03-05)) and the TEXT tool for dimensioning causes with each step/operation a spinning beach ball and a time delay.
This is a german localization.
Thanks for fixing.

(Wim Dekeyser) #2

Hi - I’m not seeing that in a simple test here. Could you be more specific about the necessary steps to make this happen. Perhaps post a simple 3dm file that shows this behavior?

Also, please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and post the result here.
Thanks!

(Info) #3

Dear Wim,

with a small file (small number of dimensions) everything is OK over here too. I just made a new test file and can confirm your observations.

But with my particular file, every time I try to change or add a dimension, the beach ball appears. I will attach a screenshot of the whole shebang and the requested SystemInfo.

Please keep in mind, that the contents of the screenshot is non-disclosure!

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Bernd :o)

SystemInfo.BB.txt (2.65 KB)

(Dan Belcher) #4

Hi Bernd

Thanks for the SystemInfo. I don’t see any red-flags there that would explain this. I would be interested to hear if you still experience this beachballing after you update to Mojave (I see you are still on 10.13.6).

I presume you’ve switched Rhino to English and that did nothing to improve things? Given that I don’t experience what you are reporting when I switch Rhino to German, I doubt this is the case.

(Info) #5

Hi Dan,

I am sorry for the delayed answer, but now I found some time to check.

The beachball delays only appears when I try to edit a „Leader”-dimension. A regular dimension (horizontal, vertical, angle diameter and so forth) does not cause a spinning beachball „time-out”.

Switching to English UI has no effect at all with this issue.

With a new project and adding a Leader-dimension, the issue appear instantly. I will attach a sample file to this mail.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

Bernd

Tischbein_schwenkbar.3dm.zip (27.2 KB)

(Dan Belcher) #6

Thanks for the file @cbsartworks. I wasn’t able to reproduce exactly what you are describing, but something quite similar. Take a look: RH-51463. Where does my description differ from yours? It sounds like you get a beachball as soon as you start the command, but I could be confused.

(Info) #7

Hi Dan,

Thank you for your answer. When looking at the RH-51463 I can nearly second your observations:

I am using RhinoWIP (6.15.19071.17016, 2019-03-12).

When performing step 3., I get the beach ball and a delay on keyboard/mouse action. To exit the edit mode of the leader, I have to press „esc” twice and the spinning beach ball delays each keyboard entry.

No crash over here, luckily.

Only the annoying beach ball issue, which bogs down a smooth work flow.

Regards,

Bernd

(Dan Belcher) #8

Thanks for the details. This seems like two different symptoms of the same underlying problem.