T-Splines, is it still alive?

Probably talking about the retopo snap?

2 Likes

yep.

when are you going to stop this apple nonsense and come work with us Tom?
:slight_smile:

Miss ya Buddy!

3 Likes

Don’t say that fruit word Kyle! or he will vanish from the internet like all his colleges. I miss them all.

G

1 Like

Retopo snap was an effective feature for me, at times, in past project tsplines workflows. Is a similar feature present in v7, or on the todo list?

@theoutside, I assume you’re the Kyle from this video.

T-Splines webinar clip: fitting T-Splines to scan data - YouTube

How would you do this with SubD?

Or the air intake in this other video:

that’s @sgreenawalt video, but I was the tech and trainer for Tsplines before joining Mcneel.

Do you have some art showing what you are trying to build? The Workflow from tsplines to our SubD tools are very similar.

I don’t have a SubD project right now. But I own an Artec Leo 3D scanner and I’m generally interested in a SubD tool similar to T-Splines Retopo Snap. QuadRemesh is a great addition to Rhino but it does not replace Retopo Snap. Especially in situations when I need a certain topology exactly the way I want, it can take ages going back and forth with QuadRemesh… Retopo Snap worked great on open and incomplete meshes. When redesigning something, that means you do not need to scan an object completely.

you know you can use guide curves to fine tune your topology flow with quadremesh , yes?

Yes I know I can use guide curves and it does help in some situations.

I didn’t use guide curves on this insole example:

I’d love to have the singularities on the same loop. Pretty much my main problem with QuadRemesh and a reason why I often prefer building the topology manually.

Quadremesh is an excellent tool, sometimes difficult to distiguish from magic.
It is not pull with retopo snap to a scanned mesh though.

1 Like

we agree. I will be doing some poking at this in the next few weeks. The best part of v7 SubD is it’s now a 1st class citizen and will develop, grow and continue to improve like the rest of Rhino.

5 Likes

remember you can project a subd to a mesh-

5 Likes

Thanks Kyle!
I wanted to share what I do with project too.

7 Likes

That is awesome and a wonderful use and workflow!!

Good to see you again my friend!

1 Like

I used the symmetry functions in t-splines a lot. If I recall correctly, you could have multiple mirror planes. I think in the current Rhino version you can only have one.

1 Like

Correct on both counts. Improving symmetry is one of the most asked for improvements as Rhino SubD develops.

5 Likes

Hi Scott, I am still modeling with TSpline. I was wondering the study curve/time cost of SubD in Rhino 7 if I am familiar with TSpline. Can I understand 50% or 80% or 99% of SubD in Rhino 7 ? Thank you.

I would start with this page. Rhino - Learn to use Rhino

Specifically, the “T-Splines to SubD” video by @theoutside, Kyle Houchens.

I think the integration of SUBDs with ToNurbs and how well that can work really can produce nice results. So, it is not exactly apples to apples comparison.

Thank you, Scott.
Sorry, I should describe the topic better. I am modeling with TSpline for Rhino, and I am familiar with Rhino. Do you still maintain the same answer ?

Tsplines skills translate well to subd in rhino 7 (except subd doesn’t crash like tsplines did)

The basic modeling philosophy is very similar. (as it is will all subd modelers) You will (should) understand all the processes in Subd very quickly.

Do you have a specific problem we can help with?