T-Splines for Rhino end of life

I don’t know about copyright laws in every country, but in the US, the legality of using a cracked version doesn’t depend on whether the product is currently for sale.

@tomfinnigan
Just let me know why you can’t help us not to lose more time.
I paid the plugin to use it or can I have my money back?

Hi Enzo.

Given the various business and legal constraints that I’m aware of, it’s very unlikely that we will release a free version of the plugin to anyone that wants it. That said, of course we want to make it so existing customers can use it as long as possible.

What version of the plugin are you using? There are some versions that will continue working on the same computer indefinitely but that you won’t be able to install on other computers. There are other versions that can be moved from computer to computer. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, this is due to legal restrictions around the license system in use before the plugin was switched to Autodesk’s license system. I’m happy to work with you to keep your license working as long as possible. If you want to discuss privately, PM me here or email me at tom.finnigan@autodesk.com

Longer term, the underlying T-splines technology has been added to several Autodesk products, and can import/export files with Rhino if you need to make edits to the T-splines inside. If you have any issues with not being able to access or edit T-spline data from your 3dm files, I’m very happy to help.

3 Likes

I know it’s impossible for copyright reasons but all I really care about is tspipe command in Rhino 6. I remember I’ve seen some time ago your video about how this command really works but is there any chance to make open source version only for generating mesh output (not actual tsplines geometry)?

T-Splines 4.0

is it my case?

when is it scheduled for my version?

my account on http://store.autodesk.it/ is no longer available.

the new Autodesk account can show me my T-Splines licenses?

T-splines is dead into Rhino.
Invest in the technology of future wich is SUBD :slight_smile:
https://www.tdmsolutions.com/fr/clayoo/

I’m already moved to SubD, I just need to keep T-Splines active on Rhino5 for my old projects.

Well, there was a method to move Rhino T-splines to Fusion T-Splines for future editing/archival.

Not sure if still works. Did that years ago and don’t have a box with Rhino/T-Splines anymore. Check it out. Might save you in future…

1 Like

You don’t have to leave Rhino and to go to Fusion to replace T-Splines for Rhino.
Clayoo is available into Rhino 6 and have a lot of functionnalities.

2 Likes

For T-Splines 4.0, it can be moved from computer to computer. Version 4 of the plugin uses the standard Autodesk license manager, which is going to stay working. It is the same license system as every other Autodesk product.

You should be able to see your serial number from https://manage.autodesk.com

To move your license from computer to computer, you can use the License Transfer Utility, which is installed with the plugin.

1 Like

Yes, alternatives to T-splines for Rhino include:

• Clayoo
  • Rhino’s WIP subd conversion/modeling
  • Model in an external modeler (Fusion, other subd modelers), import to Rhino
1 Like

Thanks, now everything is clear.

TDM have always been good at PR but the reality often does not stack up from my experience. Heard it for years on the old Clayoo forum…you guys stopped even answering questions.

If Clayoo is the future for sub-d then your new forums do not show it. Not a new post since April the 25th.

I see from a post in the forum on April the 12th that just like Clayoo 1… Clayoo2 still looses sub-d properties from time to time. You end up with a useless mesh and a lot of lost work…and no solution or follow up in the thread.

I have never had a t-splines object loose it`s sub-d properties. I think it was 3 years ago now I was talking to Guillermo about this issue with Clayoo on the old forums.

When I hear from one experienced sub-d modeller that Clayoo 2 has caught up to T-splines I will have a look. Until then I will stay in Rhino5 and T-splines.

If I was desperate for sub-d now and did not have a t-spline licence I would be looking at Fusion before Clayoo.

Staying with what works for each of us is both effective and logical. The desire to stay in Rhino is logical. However, there is an eventual expiration date associated with being ‘frozen in amber’ and such varies per individual/situation. Perhaps you’ll make it through to native Rhino sub-d. (And hopefully it is awesome.)

That said, it is my opinion that T-splines in Fusion is superior to the deprecated plugin. Furthermore, I’ve come to appreciate the added power of combining Rhino and Fusion. While I first started to use Fusion solely to stay current with T-Splines, (I know…sucker) I’ve also come to rely on aspects of Fusion that Rhino is either weaker at, or incapable of. (And to be fair, also appreciative of significant aspects where Rhino is superior.)

Obvious point being - stronger together.…at least for me. Moving data between both, and keeping projects in both, turned out to be a non-issue.

As for Clayoo…too many seeming respectable people have boo-hoo’ed it. Scared me off on a time suck basis. Where there is smoke, there is fire.

1 Like

@ec2638 I am very pleased to read those comments as I create a helmet shell this morning in t-splines. I knew t-splines was there in Fusion but to read it is better pleases me.

If and when the time comes and there is something in Rhino 6 that I need… I know there is way forward that is even better. For now I am very happy doing most of my work in t-splines and then the rest in Rhino5.

I might buy Rhino 6 just to watch the development of sub-d especially now that I read they are actually working on it.

I am very much in the boat of I need to get a job done and I use the tool that works best for me…like many other on here including yourself.

However sometimes there might be a better tool out there but I don`t have time to learn it…yet…until the benefit outweighs the learning curve.

There is no loyalty out there between consumers and software companies IMO. The story of t-spline and TDM should tell us that along with Macromedia and a very long list of others. They get swallowed up and hopefully the creators make a lot of money. Good on them…I would take the money.

Given that I am not prepared anymore to pay to trouble shoot faulty software…invest in their development blah blah blah…did it for a long time with TDM. A time suck as you called it.

Still to this day the number one cause of a crash in Rhino for me is TDM`s Rhinogold plugin.

@tomfinnigan thanks for chiming in here, and keeping touch with all the rhino/ ts users. You are, as always, an awesome dude for using your valuable personal time to provide the info you do.

3 Likes

2nd that!

I got the question about what can be done to ensure that the plugin can be used after a clean install. I thought it might be helpful to others as well:

Depends on the version of T-Splines.

If 3.4 or earlier, then in %ProgramData%\TSplines\Rhino\ there will be a .lic file (it might be tsInstalled.lic or tsActivated.lic, or some other name, depending on how the plugin was installed). Be sure to keep a copy of that file. After the install, put the .lic back in the same original location. As long as you don’t change your ethernet card address, the license will continue to work.

If 3.5 or later, then follow these instructions: Support and Problem Solving | Autodesk Support

As an aside, I am no longer working at Autodesk, but last I heard the email address rhino.plug-ins.support@autodesk.com is still being monitored.

5 Likes

Thanks Tom.