Surface problem- making a crown

I’m assuming the two outer question mark (or backwards question mark) shapes are simple sweeps but how did you blend the second one into the middle section?

As always thanks for the insight.

Dave

It’s two surfaces that I merged with smooth (no). It makes it easier to pull back the dupe edge trim curve and match the upper blend surface.

Ok now I’m really interested. The only way I know how to make a shape like this is as follows. Your method seems much cleaner and results in a vastly lower topology surface.

As always thanks for any explanations you can give.

Dave

@Niels i would love to see your tutorial on that, hope you find some time for it :bouquet:

@Stratosfear i also would like to see your elaboration on how you made that step by step if you dont mind. :violin:

Here are my steps. To get a really good result requires an advanced understanding of (Class A) bezier surface modeling.

3 Likes

Very helpful and while I’ve definitely improved on my first pass I’m still not getting results this good. The missing bit for me is what you’re doing between the first and second instance.

As always thank you for taking the time to drag the rest of up the learning curve, its much appreciated.

Dave

Use Surface match, tangency average with preserve surface direction.