Splitting a Brep with a polyline

I’m trying to split a brep with a polyline to create a voronoi surface, but I’m not able to do so using any of the tools. Should I first convert the brep to a surface, or convert the polyline to a curve?

VoronoiHeadset.gh (44.2 KB)

How do you expect anyone to help you without being able to look at your file?

Help us help you. Please post files.

2 Likes

@Elumind …and please internalize your geometries!

1 Like

What do you mean? :rofl:

Okay thanks, I’ve added the grasshopper file. The surface I’m referencing is an inorganic brep

LMAO.

Your file contains no input data.

It’s referenced in my rhino file

You didn’t post your Rhino file :bangbang: This is what happens when you don’t internalize your geometry in the GH file. Either post your Rhino file or find out what internalize means here.

picard-facepalm

:rofl:

In order for us to help you, you need to share a file with us that has your Rhino geometries “internalized” in your Grasshopper file. This is best practice when sharing files when attempting to receive help from the community, who does not have access to your Rhino file.

You can do this as @martinsiegrist has shown, by right-clicking your Brep or other components and selecting ‘Internalise data’…

… otherwise we have no way of seeing your referenced geometry.

1 Like

3. Attach minimal versions of all the relevant files

VoronoiInternalizedBrepGeometry.gh (45.2 KB)
Oh sorry :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

Ok, so most likely your next step is going to be an attempt to thicken the voronoi surface.

You can really do yourself a favor and rebuild the base brep so it is a single surface. It makes your life a lot easier since you can then use sporph to morph the voronoi from 2D to 3D.

The downside of this approach is that the edges of your voronoi cells aren’t straight.

One advantage is you can use offset instead of scaling 3D voronoi cells.

Voronoi_sporph.gh (25.9 KB)

2 Likes

Looks good Martin, and doesn’t use Weaverbird, which stopped me from looking at this.

Maybe not relevant but speaking of Voronoi and Sporph, I did this last week which used both. Eventually I reverted to Surface Morph but @Elumind might find the thread useful?

2 Likes

Much appreciated, I was wanting to rebuild the brep as a single surface but wasn’t sure how. Thanks!

I’ll take a look at the thread, thank you. Is using Weaverbird generally considered less efficient. or just looked down upon?

Personal preference. In general, I avoid plugins because I prefer to know how code works instead of it being hidden in mysterious black boxes.

@piac developed Weaverbird and he works for Rhino. I don’t think it’s bad to use it. The only downside maybe is when you share the file, the other user will have to have the plugin installed too. For certain mesh subdivisions it is certainly quite handy.

1 Like

Avoid using multiple curves or joined curves for a sweep, it always creates a seam.

1 Like