Split Surface command to create a single surface with holes

Hi guys,

I’m trying to use the Split Surface command to create a single surface with all these holes, but it’s generating multiple surfaces instead. Even though I flattened it, I still couldn’t achieve the desired result.

My goal is to create a perforated surface. Any ideas on what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!


Joey-O-ImageSampler-R6.gh (19.9 KB)

there’s no image in your file:

And no SrfSplit component :question: But it looks like SDivide outputs a data tree (double dashed wires) that feeds the circle component so the circles are also a branched data tree? Maybe you want to flatten that list?

Rhino 6?

The image is in the post above.

It took me 38 minutes to calculate the boundary surface.

Slightly less to split a surface but then you also need to delete the circular sufaces…

Joey-O-ImageSampler_mrtn.gh (4.6 MB)

perforated facade 30.01.gh (2.5 MB)
I uploaded the wrong file, thanks for letting me know!

Thank you so much, I’ll review it right away. As you mentioned, the split time took a long time for me as well, and it even caused the file to crash. Thanks again!

I internalised the result and disabled the boundary surface component.

Ah yes, of course. 58233 circles will take awhile :bangbang:

:roll_eyes: :man_facepalming:

But I need that many circles! I adjusted the facade’s transparency settings accordingly. And it needs to be an exact copy for production. Is there another method??

What kind of production? Laser / waterjet? If so, export just the curves.

As I recall, it’s much faster to bake the circles and surface and do the split in Rhino?

It will be produced with CNC, but I also need to see it in the model beforehand to take a render.

Yes, I actually tried it, but the file keeps crashing. I’m even dividing it into panels piece by piece, but it looks like it will take more than 38 minutes, hahaha!