Spacemouse lags in WIP

Totally agree.
And I can rephrase what you wrote differently, at least for me:
If I could, I would mindlessly use WIP all day instead of 7, even saving all my files in rh8 format because I would also know that I’ll buy 8 as soon as it ships.
But
I’m not using WIP for the reasons you mentioned, and those same reasons will also kill my interest of buying 8 when it ships!

If the UI (or 3dmouse lagging) goes against the everyday use, I’ll not use WIP and not buy 8. Not even for free.

Instead, if the basic “abc” problems are fixed, I would even buy WIP as it is today and replace 7, no need to wait for “8” to be shipped.

2 Likes

Hi @maje90

I split these comments out as they have nothing to do with the VSR topic.
Please do not bury important comments in long, unrelated topics.
When you do, they are not likely to be seen.

From the developers:
There has been almost no change in the 3dxRhino plug-in, written by 3dConnextion, in the WIP. Please have them provide detail of what doesn’t work and we help log an issue with the developer.

What is your SystemInfo, and what specific circumstances cause the lag?
Thanks

1 Like

I’ve just, updated video driver, updated rhino WIP, disconnected anything but mouse and keyboard, disconnected the second monitor, restarted the machine, turned off any other program.
(and yes, it’s a normal 9€ mouse, it’s 125Hz according to mouserate.exe and Mouse Polling Rate Checker 🖱️ | DeviceTests … if ever @stevebaer will ask… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Turned off V-Sync as suggested here Rhino 8 WIP doesn’t work with 3Dconnexion mouse - #4 by tay.othman from the AMD Adrenalin software.

Simply turning on WIP, going to perspective viewport with even the CPlane alone and then rotating continuously the viewport with the 3d mouse: it lags.
Here and then the whole viewport completely freeze for half a second.
Even if the “2D mouse” is still, not moving, staying outside Rhino window on the bottom Windows taskbar.)

SystemInfo

Rhino 8 SR0 2023-4-11 (Rhino WIP, 8.0.23101.16305, Git hash:master @ f9bf96304cb689b5a341d9fb2d073b09702f3ea8)
License type: Commerciale, build 2023-04-11
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2023-05-26

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT (AMD) Memory: 12GB, Driver date: 3-15-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 Compatibility Profile Context 23.3.2.230315
> Accelerated graphics device with 7 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 8x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60
Driver Date: 3-15-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.14043.1000
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 28351 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoRoslyn.rhp “RhinoRoslyn” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCPython.rhp “RhinoCPython” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\ConstraintsUI.rhp “Constraints UI” 8.0.23101.16305
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8 WIP\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

I can tell it is again the Properties panel.
The Camera/Target locations furiously updating is probably the problem or a nice direction to investigate.
I can mitigate the problem by a lot (but not completely) if I close Properties panel or have a command running (this disable the Properties panel updating) or an object is selected (so the camera/target stuff is not seen…

My feeling is once again the viewport is “physically attacked” by the UI …while I think it should be free to update/move with the highest priority… and camera/target locations as well as mouse cursor location on CPlane (on rhino bottom bar) should have the absolute lowest priority possible.
How many other similar “friction events” between UI and viewport are occurring in the background?

I need Properties panel always on, docked on the right like the layer panel.
Editing objects properties is surely a must. But why we have camera properties swapped-in while no object are selected? Do users use camera panel that frequently? You know better…
Why this?
propan
Thinking about it. If someone need to edit camera/target location with the properties panel … it is not possible if an object is selected… doesn’t really make sense.

Maybe it would help to not-have the properties panel being “rebuilt” every time an object is selected or deselected. It should be an effortless task for modern PC, but apparently even little things count.

A properties panel all grayed-out, maybe?
With camera tab accessible anytime but not in the foreground of properties panel.

This would sweep under the rug the problem. Not solving the “communication problems” between viewport and UI, but at least hiding it.

1 Like

I was just chatting with @Trav about this the other day. He is working with John and Curtis to resolve the issue. They were able to repeat the issue and it is the camera controls that are causing the problem. They are working on a fix.

2 Likes

Yes, the viewport properties panel is currently the cause of the issue. We’re going to reach out to Microsoft for a potential fix that @curtisw found. You can read more about what we’ve concluded here and our progress towards a resolution.

https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-74121

2 Likes

This is also happening to me and it is a major drawback for using V8.