SPACEBAR not the same as ENTER, please make it so!

Excellent. Thank you. I was actually looking within the help feature of the application, which was where I couldn’t find anything. Links to those articles in the help system would be helpful. But those look like useful links. I will check them out in the morning.

There are some links in the Help file on the windows side but maybe they have not made it over to the Mac side yet, I will put in a request. Looks like the links on the Windows side are also out of date, I will report that too… --Mitch

FWIW:
Mac help > Scripting and programming > Rhino scripting

Right at the top of this page it says:

A space between characters or a new line act like pressing Enter at the command line.

Towards the end of the page, the following links are given:
http://www.rhino3d.com/5/ironpython/index.html
http://wiki.mcneel.com/developer/python

@wim

I think the Help files are not all that clear so I filed a bug report for @margaret to look at :

http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-31070

Feel free to add your comments…

–Mitch

I’m not objecting the the space behavior in a command line.

It seems to me that there’s a simple solution. If spaces aren’t allowed in the input fields of the curve tool (or any other tool where spaces aren’t allowed), it should be a very simple task to remove all spaces from pasted text before processing the line. In software, it’s very common to first remove spaces at the beginning and end of a line before processing it, so removing spaces from inside is not much of a stretch.

In addition to the “space after comma” problem for new users entering coordinates, it would be really helpful to make it easier (or even more obvious) to differentiate between world and relative coordinate entry.

Many programs use relative as their default, while Rhino is using world. This is also vexing for a new user. And finding the information to prefix their coordinates with “r” is a gamble with poor odds.

I also like the suggestions being made for tabbed fields for a number of reasons. Not mentioned is that A) it’s faster, since the left hand is covering the tab key and one does not have to hunt for a comma with their mousing hand, and B) Rhino could also display a checkbox indicating relative and world data entry. ~Dave

heh… just noticed that spaceBar now works as enter for many of the commands reported in the thread.

i’m not sure when it happened so maybe it’s old news by now but just in case anyone isn’t aware of the change… some changes have been made.

(@DigiFabLab @Philip )

Thanks Jeff! I haven’t noticed… :slightly_smiling: Have to check when I get my new(er) MacBook Pro configured…

Philip

Spacebar still doesn’t work as an Enter when entering values in Gumball. I wish it did.

Me too…

Philip

I see that too. Logged in MR-2907. Thanks for reporting this.

-Dan

This long-standing paper-cut:

RH-36510 Gumball: Pressing Space in value entry does not function as Enter

should now be fixed in Rhino 6 for Mac 6.19.