SolidWorks import assembly-layer nesting bug

Hi, importing SolidWorks models with medium complex sub-assemblies, the resulting layers in Rhino become nested in a deep way. Here’s an example of a layer tree that should be mostly flat, where root level assemblies become disorganized and deeply nested. It’s always worked this way in Rhino 6 as far as I know.

Eric

@tim Is this something you can sort out?

Maybe, I’ve only sort of worked on that plugin. Lowell is the one that really knows it. I can take a look and try to see where we create the layers.

Hi Eric,

Do you have a simple file that exhibits the behavior that you can share with us along with a picture of what you think the layers ought to look like?

Tim

Hi Tim, I don’t see this issue on smaller files, do you have an ftp or? for a huge assembly? Do you want the native SW as well?

Eric

Hi Eric,

What I would like is the smallest example that exhibits the behavior you don’t like. ie. if you have a 10Mb setup and 100Mb setup that both exhibit the behavior, the 10Mb is preferable. It would also be handy to have a screen shot of the layer structure the way you think it ought to look like after the import is complete. I only need the SW file(s) that will let me see the existing behavior in action. I do not need the 3dm file that is the product of reading in those SW file(s). You can upload the file(s) here, https://www.rhino3d.com/upload, and mention my email so I get notified.

Tim

Hi Tim I uploaded an example. I have a suspicion the issue is multiple instances of the same part or assembly. In SW these get appended with an instance number Seat<1>, Seat<2> etc. It looks like Rhino tries to repeat existing layer names for multiple instances instead of using the instance increment. Attached is a picture of something like how the layer tree should look.

Eric

1 Like

Hi Eric,

OK. I got the file. Here’s the YT issue so you can track progress, https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-45432. I will try to get to this soon but it may not be today.

Tim

Hi Eric - I can see this is messy- you’d like it split up the way it shows in SW, correct? All the parts/sub assemblies to correspond to top level layers in Rhino?

-Pascal

Hi Pascal, yes that’s the ideal- and in reasonably simple assemblies it does work that way now.

I’d also like the imported parts to have the color they have in SW.

Eric

Hi Eric - so, I guess, there must be a specific arrangement that makes it messy - some nesting order or something. Question is, what? I’m not handy enough at all with SW to really test in any meaningful way, I suspect, but I’ll see if I can see how it works.

-Pascal

Like I mentioned, I suspect it might have to do with multiple instances of the same part being in the assembly. You could suppress copies in SW and see if it makes a difference.

Eric

@eej - this is how it looks now in our SR5 builds here:

Does that seem more like it?

-Pascal

That looks very promising!

Eric