Solid Union driving me crazy!

From the two files you uploaded? I imported the uncapped cylinders from the second file you uploaded to the first one…

Btw, e.g. McMaster lets you download CAD data for gears:

And then how do did you create the closed solid object from them? That’s what I am struggling with.

I removed everything, but 2 teeth. The second is needed to prepare the first for ArrayPolar. After that I removed the second, and used ArrayPolar. The rest is just Join and Split. So, I just used the commands Delete, Explode, Split, and Join to get there…

That’s basically what I did but it didn’t work cleanly.

Hello,

Would something like this work?

bevelgear_n.3dm (1.6 MB)

Yes and I would like to learn how to do this without the geometry issues I had!

Hello Michael_Hackney,

I can do a short video of the process I used if you like.

If you wouldn’t mind, that would be great

Hello,

Will do, I’ll have it posted in a day or two.

My reply above has a file with steps laid out, in case that helps.

-Pascal

Thanks Pascal, did you just add the file with the steps? I don’t recall seeing that earlier - it is very helpful, thanks!

Pascal, wow, where has Boolean2Objects been in all of my learning and using! What a great tool.

Hello Michael_Hackney,

Sorry for the delay, the video is up.

https://vimeo.com/200912761

Cool, thanks

OSTexo, the video was VERY helpful and I was able to quickly duplicate your process for the large as well as a smaller 13 tooth mating gear. And I learned a few new things about surfaces along the way!

I have a quick question, you mention MoI. I’d like to understand what it adds. I remeber checking it out a year or so ago but now that I’m “deeper in” to CAD with Rhino, I’d like to learn more.

Again, thanks!

Hello Michael_Hackney,

Thanks, I’m glad it helped. Personally I prefer MoI3D for almost all of my line work and layout of a model as well as most other operations that don’t require any sort of advanced surfacing, for that I’ll copy/paste the model into Rhino and use VSR, then copy/paste those surfaces to continue in MoI. I’ve found MoI to be quite a time saver on a variety of projects, with Rhino and plugins filling in the gaps.

I think the philosophy is different between MoI and Rhino. Both are capable of creating final production work, but MoI seems to be more direct and elegant in it’s execution, at least that’s my impression.

The MoI forum is also top notch, I think that counts for something when you need assistance.

I’ve been checking out MoI but have several showstopper issues. The first is the lack of support for my SpaceNavigator, I can’t live without it. The other is odd, the demos (30 day or no save both do this) won’t launch all of a sudden. I’ve posted these in the forum but haven’t had a response.

Hello,

I know SpaceNavigator is supported on Windows, not sure about Mac. I don’t see your questions showing up on the forum, maybe you need to confirm?

Here are the links to my questions:

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI

http://moi3d.com/forum/index.php?webtag=MOI

There is a problem with SN support on OSX.

Hello,

The links lead to the forum but not the specific questions.