Soft Electronics - Household Appliances from 60's, 70's and 80's

Early in my guitarmaking career I worked for 9 years as a modelmaker for Gibson guitars. At the time all the shell inlay for fingerboards and pegheads was cut with a Kuhlmann pantograph. Patterns were scaled up as a lot of the detail is quite small. There was one worker operating this machine and she was able to keep up with the production of the entire factory which was hundreds of instruments per day.

4 Likes

@Gijs, great series of models/images!
schön!

1 Like

Amazing! Absolutely loving it! What did you use for a render? The images look so sick!

thanks @Lewis1 , I used V-Ray for Rhino

Great modeling and rendering skills! Congratulations! :slight_smile:
Those old electronics were functional yet featuring pure, minimalistic design language. The majority of modern electronics (and cars), however, are designed to look overly-complex for the sake of complexity. :space_invader: Those non-sense details also make the item in question more expensive to the end user, and quite difficult to clean.

3 Likes

Indeed, especially cars nowadays I have a hard time reading the design, at least the majority of them and in particular all those ‘futuristic’ electrical cars.
IMHO good design is good design when it survives the test of time.

3 Likes

Hi Gijs, very nice work!
I love the perspective used and the lighting is excellent, no “beauty shot” extravaganza but realistic studio shots.
I have a variation of the Krups mixer at home. If you need some more details I can make some pictures for you.

1 Like

Hi @Marc that would be nice. If possible send it by pm, thanks.

You inspired me to pickup the book! Just fabulous stuff in here.

-Sky

2 Likes

Sweet, enjoy reading and watching the beautiful photographs. After posting these images I got contacted by the writer, which was a nice surprise. Still need to plan a visit to his warehouse. I was planning on adding a few more but haven’t found the time lately.

2 Likes

So cool! In a world with more free time, I think it would be so fun and wonderful to model every product in the book and do a YouTube series on it

4 Likes

@Gijs Awesome work!

an quite contagious - I also got the book, and “thanks” to my habit of collecting stuff have, already started a small collection.

We’re getting a 3d scanner at uni this semester - so I’m planning to digitize some of the models. I think the scans would make a great template for surfacing exercises! : )

7 Likes

Hi everyone,

scans are ready! (at least the first batch)
The meshed files are between 30 and 50mb in size -
should I post them directly here in the Forum (in a separate thread?)
or would a link to google drive work better ?

6 Likes

I think a separate thread is better, with links to the scans, since they’re quite big. I’m looking forward to see them!

You rock guy,
It would be amazing to access the scans.
Yeah, a shared Google folder it’s the simplest way.

Thanks for sharing this work.

I’d LOVE to play around with some of these - have you posted them yet?

not yet – but I’m working on it this minute

I’ll probably post them later this evening or tomorrow

2 Likes

It’s fun to see that the orange color is very close, from 3 different manufacturers!

Scans are online now:

1 Like

Die Modelle sehen sehr schön aus.
Die alten Produkte haben ein gute Designsprache
und FunktionalitÀt.
Ich nutze immer noch das RĂŒhrgerĂ€t “Krups TopMix Plus” von meiner Oma. Es funktioniert einwandfrei. Das GerĂ€t ist noch Ă€lter, als der “3MIX 4004”.

1 Like