Slow drape simulation with bouncy solver?

I’m trying to model draping and collision of a fabric like bio-material using Kangaroo bouncy solver (the resolved form will be analysied using FEM with different mechanical properties to mimic how it dries/ hardens).

The material has a very low weight and high tensile strength.

Weight is added per node using ‘Load’, and stiffness (k) is added as the strength input for ‘Edge Lengths’ (…assign real quantitative meaning, by setting the strength to the spring constant in N/m, calculated as EA/L, where E is the Young’s modulus of the material in Pa, A is the cross-sectional area in m 2 , and L is the rest length in m.)

With either low weight in ‘Load’ and/ or high ‘Strength’ in ‘Edge Lengths’ the simulation runs incredibly slow - some times with impercievable movement.

Is there any explanation for this? Am I misunderstanding the nature of the modelling?

I’ve attatched a simplified version of the file (with values in the order of my expected simulation) that exhibits this issue.

Thank you, any advice would be hugely appreciated!!

simlified drape.gh (23.4 KB)

Do you need such a high strength in the EdgeLengths goal?

Also I’m not sure if the bouncy solver has a benefit over using the regular solver.

I think you can disable the Floor goal and the SphereCollide.

And then I’d use Entwine to gather all goals and put the Show goal in {0;0}

simlified drape.gh (23.1 KB)

1 Like