Setup for Large Scale Work

Since I recently landed a new job, I will soon start to work on a very large and very detailed model (we’re talking about 300m long architectural corridor) and I think I need to upgrade my machine.
So far I’ve been relying on a I7-8550U, 8GB RAM and a Radeon 530, but as I started using Grasshopper and setting up interior scenes I hit the roof (slowdown, overheating, crashes). I think I need to get a CPU with a high base clock speed to handle the modeling part, and then, since I’m sacrificing multicore a bit, a decent GPU to get the renderings done.

My budget sits around 1400€, and I’m thinking of a desktop solution (not willing to assemble it myself). Can somebody validate my thought process? Am I missing any key factors (maybe the motherboard?)? I’d appreciate it so much if you could suggest setups that suit my needs and wallet.

Hi Olivaniccolo,

I am running with the same questions. Maybe some professionals can help us. I will add some questions and a possible built:

1. Intel or AMD processor?
    As I understand Rhino / GH mainly uses single core. Currently the Intel CPU’s are more affordable, but the AMD’s are better in the benchmarks.

2. GPU and the current prices
    Is it worth to spend 700€-800€ on a RTX3070 or rather go for the RX 6700 XT ? Especially with vRay I have made doubts on if the can do the realtime raytracing?

3. RAM
    I think 32 GB would be the minimum to work with big models.

4. M2 hard disk?
    What is recommend? 512 GB together with a more affordable SDD?

5. Pre-built vs Self-built?
    I am leaning to a self built, since you get more bang for the buck. Secondly I have a friend who can help me built it. What are your experiences with this?

I hope I am not making it more confusing. Otherwise ignore my message :wink:

built 1:
Intel Core i5-11600K - €250
ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Ti - €860,-

Samsung 980 1TB M2 - €120,-
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 - €165,-
Motherboard - appr €150,-
Case - appr €60,-
Cooler - appr. €30,-
Power - appr. €100,-

Total: €1735 (Dutch Market and over budget :slight_smile: )

built 2:
Ryzen 5 5600 x - €260,-
Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6700 XT - €860,-

Samsung 980 1TB M2 - €120,-
Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2D3600C18 - €165,-
Motherboard - appr €150,-
Case - appr €60,-
Cooler - appr. €30,-
Power - appr. €100,-

total: €1745,-

Most config is the same, just diff in GPU CPU.
To go back to €1400,- the GPU should be downgrade to a MSI GeForce RTX 2060 VENTUS GP OC - which will cut the cost with €400,-.

Best,

Georges

p.s. I added some model names based on user reviews of a dutch website. By changing some brands etc the costs can be cut with maybe 5-10%. GPU + CPU is always the budget killer.

1 Like