Scan to Model

I modelled this classic MG a while ago for a customer who 3D scanned the original car.
The model s a mixture of Network Curve surfacing as well as some SubD.
I finally got a chance to slap some paint on it .
These renders were made with Rhino 7,with standard materials and Rhino renderer.
Cheers,
Mike
Scan2model.com.au

EDIT — I have just updated the renders with new cobblestones, tail lights etc.

34 Likes

this project is amazing!

thanks for sharing-

Thank you Kyle !

Great!

But by using NetworkSrf and SubD it violates the fundamental single span only principle of “Class A” surfacing. How are the results possible? :grin: :wink:

Awesome :scream:

I’m catching a whiff of sarcasm in your response, and I’ll see your :wink: and raise you a :slight_smile: but for those who didn’t catch it-

Class A is only a rule where Class A is required, which is actually a pretty small, very niche segment of 3d modeling.

As shown here, you can clearly make incredible models that are not “class A”

Always model for intended results and intended production needs and more importantly, your schedules and budgets.

Modeling “class A” where it’s not required is simply wasted effort IMO, because real Class A modeling is actually quite difficult, tedious and time consuming when actually done correctly.

Single span surface modeling is NOT class A by itself but can be a good practice when ease of editing and higher end continuity is required. Sky Greenawalt refers to this as “Class Eh” Which is both hilarious and accurate.

True Class A is typically specifically defined by the production needs, and can vary greatly from production house to production house.

For instance VW and Porsche have different class A standards than say Toyota or GM. The details are very minute, but there are differences.

I’m a huge proponent of, don’t let the “rules” get in the way of your art.

And this model is Art.

5 Likes

+1 to everything @theoutside said

:+1:

Only a hint? Oh well, I tried.

And there are two fundamentally different versions of what is meant by “class A”; a term which predates computer use for design. One version is “how” (single span surfaces, continuity, etc), the other is “what” (quality of reflections, etc). Class A origins

Based on this forum many users have been led to believe by posts in this forum as well as recommended videos that single span surfaces are essential for high quality surfacing, and use of multiple span surfaces are a sure sign of lower quality work. The MG model shown above is a good counterexample of achieving class A quality surfaces with multiple span surfaces.

1 Like

This would imply that you can tell if a model is Class-A or not simply by looking at a render.

1 Like

Looks like I have sparked a bit of a debate :slight_smile:
I wasnt even thinking about “class A” when I made the model.
The early part of the process is here.

I modelled the main body as one piece, then cut out the cockpit profile, door panels, bonnet panels etc working over the top of the Pointcloud.
Then offset those surfaces inwards to create solids, then used the solid _FilletEdge command to create the rounded edges.
The guards, grill etc were SubD.
I will sit down and do a start-to-finish tutorial on it one day.

2 Likes

You’re model is truly excellent Mike! I’ve done a lot of work with scan data in the past (working on an Airbus A320 right now) I know how difficult it can be to balance quality vs accuracy etc. Great work, truly.

Why are there only 3 renders here?

We need more! It is wonderful! Evening shots, studio shots, can we see it in black? :smiley:

Blasphemy!
needs to be BRG with a tan interior.

Funny you should say that Kyle.
I posted the renders on linkedin and one of the first reponses was from my old boss at The British Transport Research Labs where I used to work in the UK.
He wanted a BRG version as well…

3 Likes

Thank you Sky G !
Are you using Rhino to create the Airbus Model ?.
I used to use Lightwave, 3DsMax, AutoCad, Microstation etc and settled on Rhino, mainly because it works so well with scan pointclouds, especially if you use the Veesus for Rhino plugin.
I have spent the last couple of years working in the marine industry modelling boats from scans.
Luckily, the marine industry is already has a huge Rhino user base.

1 Like

Stunning!

Way to give the people what they want-

:wink:

1 Like

Hardly blasphemy - black was the original colour…

And BRG - which I don’t think was ever an official colour for the Midget range - varied from manufacturer to manufacturer and even from year to year. That said, there’s a nice green and tan TC on Wikipedia.

@Mike_A, to improve on your already stellar work, might I suggest toning down the gloss? Cellulose paint was never as shiny as modern 2-pack. To my eye the high gloss makes the models look plastic, More Tamiya than Morris Garages! And distorting the tyres where they take the weight of the vehicle would go a long way to convincing the viewer that this is a real vehicle.

Thanks Jeremy,
All good advice !
My original brief was to supply a model from scan data and an FX company was going to do the texturing, etc from there, I just couldnt help myself and decided to generate a few quick renders.
I might have a crack at generating a more realistic, slightly more weathered black version.
regards,
Mike.

For all my RE work, I still use VSR/Autodesk Shape on RH5, which I say is the best RE software for this type of work. The shame is that no one realized was so good for RE before it was gone from the market! It requires a classic patch modeling approach, but I have yet to see any other option that allows the creation of such clean models from scan data. There’s no “autosurfacing” type of functionality in Shape, but if you know how to use it (and you have it), it’s absolutely brilliant.

3 Likes