RhinoCommon Service Realease

Hello,

I am developing a plugin with rhino common, and building against my version of Rhino Common, having the latest service release. However it seams to be a problem if the client for whom I am developing doesn’t have the latest Service Release the plugin want load. (SR 16 / SR10)
Problem is that the users can’t update their Rhino Versions individually, it has to be done by the companies IT Services which costs money.

how to handle this, keeping multiple versions of RhinoCommon around and building the plugin for different Service Releases, and if so how to get them (how to uninstall a service release…)

Is RhinoCommon changing with every service release?

thx Richard

Hi @richard_schaffranek

yes, RhinoCommon is re-compiled with every release of Rhino. Because you reached a point of development where you likely need to be able to target specific releases, you might want to switch referencing RhinoCommon from the Rhino you have installed, and instead reference a particular version.

@will has been generously creating the code to automatically publish our RhinoCommon to NuGet, a standard repository for such things. You can read the guide on the docs page.

Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

1 Like

Thx for the info,

funny enough it seams to work on some computers with SR13…

confused…

We would need more specific details in order to be able to help.

If you have some references (with version with which version), I think this might be a good playground for @will to test.

Thanks,

Giulio

Giulio Piacentino
for Robert McNeel & Associates
giulio@mcneel.com

This may be a result of compatibility testing

I recently updated to VS 2019 and the NuGet Rhinocommon. When I opened an existing project I got a warning to update RhinoCommon and Grasshopper packages to their latest versions (6.18.19266.14201). After that when trying to debug the project on Grasshopper I get an error stating that the plugin was built against a newer version of Grasshopper. My Rhino/Grasshopper are the latest versions (6.18.19266.13352). If what is stated in this post is correct,

this shouldn’t be a problem…or should it?

That shouldn’t be a problem. Are you still seeing this?

Hello Steve

I had to downgrade RhinoCommon and Grasshopper to able to debug the project. After updating rhino to version 6.19.19295.01282 I stopped having the problem. I’m currently using RhinoCommon and Grasshopper versions 6.18.19266.14201 on the project. This of course means I can’t duplicate the issue anymore unless I downgrade rhino.