Rhino to Revit advice?

Hello,

So my office is working on a complicated residential home. There are no curves but it is a very angular building. I have done the entire model as of now in the “pre design” stage all in Rhino. We have now come close to a design we like and need to start fine tuning the model and begin generating some accurate floor plans, sections etc.

So far we have discussed two options upon doing this. We either do a Rhino to Revit process or a Rhino to AutoCad process. It seems we are leaning towards the Rhino Revit direction knowing that it may be a slow process and will be the most complicated project we have done in Revit as of now (there is also a split between Revit and Rhino fans in the office which makes the decision difficult).

I personally love Rhino and can’t stand Revit. However, I feel that doing a complete construction document set in Rhino won’t be as accurate. I have found that Rhino in 3d is more for getting a form in a “shell stage” and not in perfect accurate condition for producing documents. I am no rhino expert and am very new to what rhino plug ins there are or how to even use them.

I guess my question is more advice on what you all have experienced or used in the past to solve this problem. Thank you for reading and your help is really appreciated.

What makes you think this?

Well I guess one is because I have never done one before. I just graduated from school and used Rhino to make 3d models then cut and “make2d” them and clean them up to make my plans sections etc. That wasn’t very accurate but was ok because it was just for school.

Maybe my Rhino skills aren’t good enough to do… In Rhino it seems that in 3d it is hard to get things to work and fit like I want them to… many things are intersecting each other and there is a lot of clean up.

Like I said I haven’t done anything so advanced or detailed in Rhino before so I don’t really know what my options are.

That’s not Rhino, that’s just your modeling. Rhino is as accurate as anything else on the market. Make sure you use osnaps when aligning things, not just doing it visually.

hey heath, this reminds me of one of your first posts on the old newgroup. :wink:

@alex_towpasz you can of course do clean floorplans in plain Rhino, among other funny things. To work with Rhino & Revit in a later stage, you might want to check out Rhino & Grasshopper first. There is a dedicated group to explore and develop tools for the interoperation between Grasshopper and Revit too:

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/group/gh-revit

c.

Wow! You remember that? Crazy… so many years ago. Yeah, I think my first real revelation with rhino was someone steering me to the osnaps after I spent hours trying to figure out how to align things! Major rookie. :blush:

Yes, of course ! …We do not forget. Expect us… oh sorry, wrong forum :blush:

c.

1 Like

In my experience, the most powerful Rhino <–> Revit workflows pass through Grasshopper. These workflows usually end up leveraging the strength’s of Grasshopper’s parametric control and Revit’s facility with documentation. It really doesn’t matter what shape your building is - rectilinear or doubly-curved - but you do need to know the basics of Grasshopper (which may not be what you have time for at this point). You should definitely check out Geometry Gym, as it has lots of components for Revit interop. Chameleon and Hummingbird are worth checking out as well…both presume a certain “depth of knowledge” on the Revit side, but pay off in level-of-control.

Thanks everyone. I do use Osnaps it is just that sometimes when there are so many things it appears to snap to what I want but doesn’t…

I wish I knew Grasshopper but in this case I don’t think time would be in my favor for it…

Can you clarify this statement a bit? It often helps to only turn on the osnaps you need at the time, and keep the rest turned off.

We are presenting (or trying to present) a couple proof of concepts regarding a rhino to revit interoperability using the add-in hummingbird. I am having a difficult time with the floor push. I can push one curve and it builds a floor in revit, but if I add anymore floors above that, it creates a series of “floor openings” in revit. Thoughts?

A majority of my work is shop drawings (for interior contractors, architects, etc.). I’m moving my 2D work from AutoCAD to Rhino. I bought Rhino thinking it would function as you’ve described - as a way to mass out ideas that would than get drawn in 2D in another program but the layout features in V6 are truly great and there are many, many things that Rhino does in a simpler and (to my mind) more logical way than AutoCAD does. Annotation scaling comes to mind. I have yet to find something that I can’t do in Rhino for my shops. I look forward to a time when all of my technical drawings are done in Rhino.