Rhino help for a beginner

Hi!

I was playing around on a free 3d modelling program called Tinkercad and managed to produce a ring I really like… but… it wasn’t good enough to 3d print (the surfaces weren’t smooth… not sure what to call it). I have since been teaching myself Rhino and I am managing to do most of the things I need to so far but cannot work out how to reproduce this ring. Any suggestions would be most welcome! Laymans terms where possible please!! I can probably manage to sweep a rectangle around a ring to create the ring but I am not sure where to start with the stars. I could work out the circumference, create a ‘flat’ star pattern and wrap it round the ring (in theory!) but is there an easier way?! star ring 2.stl (282.9 KB)

this is a simple thing, i looked at your ring and it appears to be 20 cm wide, thats a pretty big ring :wink: but you decide yourself.

in rhino use the command Tube it will create a flat ring as you had in 3 steps awaiting dimension, thickness and height from you which you can either enter in numbers or manually with the mouse. then use the command Polygon with 5 edges and option “Star” and use ExtrudeCrv on it. from here you got several options to get the stars onto the ring.

one would be to use OrientOnSrf for this you have to use VolumeCentroid on the Star to get a Point which will function as a Basepoint this is als important that the stars sink in properly on the surface. here Gumball may come in handy to move and scale objects along the axis pretty fast. using OrientOnSrf it will ask you to select a surface, use the option “copy” and you can start distributing the stars directly on the ring.

another option would be to shift CMD click on the outer surface of the ring it will highlight this surface then use UnrollSrf it will create a rectangular surface on which you place your stars as you wish. best would be to raise the surface very slightly or sink the stars into the surface this is that BooleanUnion can function properly. because flowing may cause some micro gaps which disable this function. after that use FlowAlongSrf it will ask you to select the objects, then the base surface then the surface you want them on. be aware if you click on the wrong spot the stars may show further into the ring so play with the right spot till you get the orientation.

thats basically it after that you can use BooleanUnion and also FilletEdge with a very low radius try 0.1 this will round all sharp edges which i recommend. hope you enjoyed the little tutorial :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure where you are getting that measurement, but looks like a 7mm wide shank with an 18.66mm opening, so a ring or US 8.5 size or 58 EU

When doing jewellery, you wouldn’t fillet your Rhino file. This will get done in polishing of the final metal ring. For a render yes, but not is this is going to be cast.

1 Like

it seems stl are opened in numeric relation rather than a fixed size, i guess opening it in mm makes more sense as you say. regarding the fillets, we dont know anything if this going to be only printed or properly manufactured, so suggesting something more is better than too little. 3d prints can be pretty sharp i assume.

Thank you! Annoyingly I have to go away for a couple of days so won’t be able to try this till next week but thank you for such a time consuming reply. Much appreciated.

Nicola

Thanks Rhinorudi! I hadn’t thought about 3d printing v’s casting. Do you know a lot about Rhino for jewellery design?

Nicola

I have been using Rhino for jewellery since 2008. I have actually been getting into stone cutting and more bench work so I haven’t used Rhino much for the last 6 months.

If you have specific questions, just ask, I follow the forums fairly regularly.

Caio, Randy

Amazing! Thank you! I am trying to teach myself both at the same time (jewellery and rhino) so I really have my work cut out! Wow, serious stuff if you’re cutting your own stones. Let me know if you have work up somewhere.

Nicola

I worked for JewelPop Inc. doing production jewellery from 2008 - May 2017. I am in the process of going solo.

«Randy