Rhino Freezing When Calculating Contour Command

Hey all, I recently upgraded my computer with a new GPU and did a full wipe. Everything works well except whenever I do the contour command to generate contour lines from a poly-surface it always gets stuck at the loading wheel. I have experienced it getting stuck at the loading wheel for complex calculations for large projects, but what I am trying to contour is a singular plane which is a super simple set of geometry. I find it concerning that it gets stuck on the simple geometry.

When it gets stuck loading the command at the command bar it says “calculating contours, press esc to cancel”. I typically press esc and a window pops up that I’ve never seen before where it says “rhino unsafely canceled the command you were running, this may cause rhino to become unstable…”. I exit out of the window and then rhino crashes.

Here is my system info.

Rhino 7 SR12 2021-11-9 (Rhino 7, 7.12.21313.06341, Git hash:master @ 5590153808223b57a9f41516a969fd949aa81bff)
License type: Educational, build 2021-11-09
License details: Stand-Alone

Windows 10.0.19042 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

**Computer platform: DESKTOP **

Standard graphics configuration.
** Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon RX 6600 (AMD) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 10-5-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.14761 Compatibility Profile Context 21.10.2 30.0.13025.5005**
** > Accelerated graphics device with 6 adapter port(s)**
** - Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0**

OpenGL Settings
** Safe mode: Off**
** Use accelerated hardware modes: On**
** Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On**
** Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)**

** Anti-alias mode: 4x**
** Mip Map Filtering: Linear**
** Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High**

** Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.**
** Render version: 4.6**
** Shading Language: 4.60**
** Driver Date: 10-5-2021**
** Driver Version: 30.0.13025.5005**
** Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384**
** Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits**
** Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384**
** Total Video Memory: 8176 MB**

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
** C:\Program Files\Chaos Group\V-Ray\V-Ray for Rhinoceros\V7\VRayForRhino.rhp “V-Ray for Rhino” **

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.12.21313.6341**
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit” **
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.12.21313.6341**
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” **
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.12.21313.6341**
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI” **
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” **
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.12.21313.6341**
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.12.21313.6341**
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse” **
** C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”**

Please let me know what is causing this dramatic freeze for this simple command, because it will cause some pain in the long term if I don’t find the source to this issue. Any help is appreciated.

Carson S.

Are you also user1328? If so, please do not double post. If not, two different users with the same problem one right after the other may indicate a problem. Can you post an example file so that someone can verify if it is a general bug or not?

Also make sure you don’t have any bad objects that you are trying to contour, or some setting that is too fine (such as contour spacing) that is causing Rhino to go into a tailspin trying to calculate?

You might also try disabling the V-Ray plug in temporarily and see if that fixes anything.

Another question: how far from the origin is the object used for contours?

Please post a .3dm file with an example of the geometry which is causing the problem. You can use the Export command to create a file with just the object or objects which cause the problem. To upload the file drag it into where you type a post, or click on the vertical arrow icon above where you type a post.

Without an example of the geometry which causes the problem it is very difficult or impossible to determine the cause and a solution.

Resolved by disabling the V-Ray plugin on user1328 post

I reverted to the Vray 5 release 1.5 from July and it seemed to address the issue. I also wrote Chaosgroup, pointing to this thread. Hopefully it gets picked up soon.

1 Like