Rhino 8 line weight

I can’t figure out why in layouts my line weight looks like this…

but the pdf output looks like this…

toggling on the print display while in layouts looks the same as the first picture, with normal line weight. I have been messing around with the ‘print width’ and ‘layout print width’ columns in layers, and they don’t seem to change what i am seeing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Kurt -

Could you run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the output here? Also, a 3dm file will help in diagnosing an issue. We’d also need to know which settings you are using in the Print dialog.
Thanks,
-wim

here’s the output from systeminfo…
is there a way to share the 3dm with only you. i’d rather not post it for anyone to take a look at…
Rhino 8 SR2 2023-12-12 (Rhino 8, 8.2.23346.13001, Git hash:master @ dbefe46c12cda06610a9ab683a211aa3d16f0030)
License type: Evaluation, build 2023-12-12
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 2024-03-27

Windows 10 (10.0.19045 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
.NET 7.0.0

Computer platform: DESKTOP

Standard graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 6-8-2023 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 536.23
> Accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display attached to adapter port #0
- Secondary monitor attached to adapter port #1

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 6-8-2023
Driver Version: 31.0.15.3623
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
C:\ProgramData\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\Datasmith Rhino Exporter (d1fdc795-b334-4933-b680-088119cdc6bb)\DatasmithRhino7.rhp “Datasmith Exporter” 5.1.1.0
C:\Users\kurve\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\packages\7.0\NVIDIADenoiser\0.4.3\NVIDIADenoiser.Windows.rhp “NVIDIADenoiser.Windows” 0.4.3.0
C:\Users\kurve\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\BlockEdit (f2231a2f-66bf-4558-94ce-988c15aede65)\BlockEditNew.rhp “BlockEdit” 1.0.0.0
C:\Users\kurve\AppData\Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\7.0\Plug-ins\D5Conv (e0d5e210-02f6-4ee9-a2b0-1675e225d958)\0.10.1.0001\Rhino 7\D5Conv.rhp “D5Converter for Rhino”

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoLabsTools.rhp “Rhino Labs Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\MeshCommands.rhp “MeshCommands” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\IronPython\RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\RhinoCode\RhinoCodePlugin.rhp “RhinoCodePlugin” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\export_PDF.rhp “PDF Export” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 8.2.23346.13001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 8\Plug-ins\SectionTools.rhp “SectionTools”

Hi Kurt -

Yes, please use Rhino - Upload to Support
Thanks.
-wim

ok. just uploaded the file. thanks

Hi Kurt -

Thanks. Could you also post your print settings? Expand all sections in the Print dialog and take screenshots showing all the settings, please.
-wim

I’m having the same problem. I thought this was a known issue and being worked on?

I also have the same problem.

Hi -

How can you tell?
This thread contains no information at all about the display mode that is used, possible modifications to default display modes, any of the print settings involved, model space versus layout space, or even what type of objects. All of these variables and their combinations need to be known to be able to reproduce an issue. Sadly, the print settings and modifications to default display modes don’t travel with a 3dm file.

If you have a confirmed YT report, you’ll find the status of that item in that report.
-wim

Similar/Same Lineweight and join appearance.

At the moment. It’s not so much an issue of reproducing the bugs, but rather not having them show up. I think one approach will be to find settings that work, share them, and for those of us that want to print PDF’s.

If I knew what settings “worked”, I would probably understand the bug and just fix it :slight_smile:

If you have a model (the simpler the better) that helps me reproduce the bug, I can probably get it fixed in a matter of days. Right now; I don’t know how to repeat this bug.

I’ll be able to upload something shortly. To make things a bit harder I’m also getting inconsistent print results. For example, the two results are from the same print settings:

I might have toggled a setting back and forth. Given it’s Friday maybe I’ll play around over the weekend and upload the file Late Sunday early Monday + some insights if I can find any.

Just an update before I retire from Rhino (for the week):

A modified Arctic mode produces good results and allows for vector/raster output (the chair’s viewport will be raster no matter what, but the title block in the layout can be vector or raster).

Anything with silhouette edges seems to have issues. In raster as shown above and in Vector (this is a modded “Pen” display mode). Similar/same issues were encountered with “shaded” and “technical” display modes.

Some lines are missing:

Some extra lines show through:

The Silhouette edges show funny as well. I should have turned up my lineweights to better show this:

This is on the list as RH-79541 imprecise vector result in print

The very bottom picture: That’s actually a curve I left in the model. It doesn’t have to be there. It would be nice if the solids blocked it out but I could also clean up my model.

At this point, I think I’ll need your updated SystemInfo data. Or the 3dm file…
-wim

is there any solution to this yet? last i head there was a release coming that would fix this, but I haven’t seen anything and I’m using v7 still bc of other drawing related issues. I have tried everything and I can’t seem to produce reasonable line weight / detailed line drawings at 24x36 scale