Rhino 8 Feature: GH1 Is Now More Than Just Geometry!

We do plan to add more components for material creation/editing. That likely includes adding new datatypes for bitmaps and UV mapping.

3 Likes

lights please!

Alright, thanks for your answer.
(So I guess there is nothing planned for the other properties?)
I encounter the need to access “Curve Piping” or “Thickness” properties when I create a custom export or create a shader node.

It’s definitely something we can add to our list. We don’t have a definitive timeline for when various features are added, but I’ll make sure this gets added to the roadmap.

2 Likes

Driving UV Mapping for nurbs from Grasshopper would be fantastic.

Currently a lot of us rely on ‘Human’ for UV mapping but it only works with meshes.

2 Likes

@Eugen @ejnaren I just wanted to let you know that Blocks are now available in GH1 for Rhino 8 WIP. Read more here.

7 Likes

There seems to be an error in the Model Layer component or is the below the expected behavior?
Marked in red:

Best Morten

Can you post this example file? I’d like to look into this a little closer.

2 Likes

Amazing work, @AndyPayne . Now that Blocks are out of the way. Can we please for the love of God have Lights in grasshopper and in Blocks :smiley: haha. Grasshopper would be a beast in lighting and rendering applications if this is implemented. Just look at the competition. 3ds Max just just recently did this via a 3rd party plugin in Railclone. Railclone is limited compared to grasshopper in terms of scripting power. While Houdini is a little too esoteric and complex for the average user. Rhino grasshopper is perfect for interior and exterior lighting design. Also the ability to bake lights is important. Vray can’t bake lights into rhino for some technical reason. So please let there be lights :).

1 Like

Sure… didn’t save the script, aaand now I can’t recreate it… :sweat_smile: It works as expected.

Edit:
@AndyPayne Found something else though.
Baking layers with the same “child” name does not produce the expected result:

File attached right away this time: :smile:
SameNamedChildLayers.gh (10.2 KB)

1 Like

Lights are definitely on our roadmap. Thanks for the feature suggestion.

8 Likes

I think this is because you’ve named both sub-layers as “ChildLayer”. If those names had been unique then I think you’d get the result your looking for. Nevertheless, I will look into whether we can get this working as it should be possible (I think). Thanks for reporting this.

That’s really nice to hear. Could we expect it within 2022 or 2023? :smiley: hehe

@molu I just wanted to let you know that I believe this issue has been fixed and will be available in the next WIP release (likely late tomorrow night).

9 Likes

Nice family tree

2 Likes

Hi @AndyPayne , any news about this?

1 Like

There is still some internal work being done on how Object Frames are stored. Once this is done, it shouldn’t take long to incorporate into the Grasshopper components. I’ll post here once it’s been updated to let you know.

7 Likes

Oh boy - once that’s done, animating robots and stuff will be a breeze!

2 Likes

I just wanted to let you know that we have just released a new set of components to create native annotations (including text entities) in Grasshopper 1. Read more about it here.

3 Likes

Making custom hatch from curves will be a very nice tool.