RHI installer - is it possible to control Rhino version?

I second all these concerns. I would like to have control of the specific version to install for. ie. I want it in Rhino 6 but not WIP/ Rhino 7. Hope this is achievable with the compiler future updates.

–jarek

@clement @Jarek your concerns are valid and also at odds with what most customers and developers seem to want. If you want to specifically check Rhino versions in your scripts, and bail if the versions aren’t good for you, then check:

Rhino.RhinoApp.Version and do as you will.

Hi @brian, I know we can check the version from the script and limit its functionality to a given version or even SR. The problems are:

And also in case I want to have different compilations to install on different versions, there doesn’t seem to be possible with being very specific…

Seems odd that most developers would want LESS control over how their plugins are installed; plus that could be an optional functionality, if nothing specific defined the plugins can install everywhere.

thank you,

–jarek

2 Likes

Hi @Brian, i do this already. But as i wrote above, if i limit a compiled script to eg. Rhino 5, and the customer has Rhino 6 + 7 installed on his system, the plugin will be installed for (into) these versions as well by default and i cannot not prevent this. The customer then tries to run in RH6 or RH7 because he also has a new toolbar, then he gets an error message from the compiled script.

Since the compiler does not support python modules, the code to do the version check needs to be copied into every script. I find this tedious and it wouldn’t be required if i can just choose to which Rhino version the plugin is allowed to be installed. The customer is also not happy to install a “non-working” plugin into all his other Rhino versions which btw. will not remove the 3 previously installed “non-working” version(s) and also installs the toolbars (when included) which have no working buttons.

_
c.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Double-clicking RHI doesn’t load in V6

Hi, has a solution found?
I have a plugin developed in C#, target for Rhino 5 (64 bit).
If I have Rhino 6 installed, the RHI will install the plugin on both Rhino 5 (64 bit) and Rhino 6.
However, Rhino 6 will complain that the plugin is not compatible.
I would like to have the RHI only install the plugin on Rhino 5 (64 bit)

@will - is this something you can help with?